Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] 10gbe nic recommendation for Z820

A trick Zelin taught me was to use a 4-port NIC in the serve no switch needed until you have 5 machines to connect to.  Back then I used Atto cards and fiber.

On Nov 2, 2020, at 3:08 PM, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com> wrote:

Also, depending on which Qnap you're running, you may not need a switch.  Mine has a card slot right in the box, plus a dual-slot Tbolt3 slot.  So, I put an extra card in the extra slot, giving me two 10GigE connections - I have two bays, plus I sometimes attach my laptop via tbolt.  So, theoretically, I could have 4 devices connected.

I would recommend NOT connecting your qnap to the internet.  

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Nov 2, 2020, at 1:05 PM, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com> wrote:

I'm using the QNAP 10gig e PCIe card in my 2010 MacPros - works great.  My distance is a 3-foot cable and a 15-foot cable, so… you know…


pretty sure it's that one, used to be $89… but, you know…

gh


----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Nov 2, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Karl Knowles <tech@knowlesvideo.com> wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a solid 10gbe nic compatible with the HP Z820 (and MC)?  General keyword searching for experiential feedback has come up short.

I recently added a QNAP NAS that supports 10gbe and would like to build a complete 10gbe pipeline.  The main use will be to speed up the archiving of media files from a large digitizing project.

Cheers,
Karl Knowles



No comments:

Post a Comment