Saturday, October 26, 2013

[Avid-L2] RE: Gravity and Avid

 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/smpte-fox-exec-seeing-no-649952


Some are finally noticing the naked emperor. 



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 
Of course Avid will do a ton of PR on Avid and Gravity… Avid? Right? Please.
See here's what is going to happen, December - FCPX and Mac Pro ship. 
Prod co's will say; you can cut 4K now. DP's and directors will say, you can cut 4K now. 
No need to transcode. We will shoot 4K on everything now because you can cut 4K now with FCPX.
Agencies will say you can cut 4K now. No need to transcode. 
Wrong or right, this will happen. So, Avid, you need to do some heavy marketing. And what would be awesome,
would be if Avid released or previewed some awesome new features in December. Because this will happen.
Looks like Gravity shot around 2K. not 4K. but facts have little bearing on Apple driven hype.

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/article/managing-gravity's-workflow#.UmxbRBaPKhg

found link to this article on Jobs' timeline,thanks

owen

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (48)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

[Avid-L2] Gravity and Avid

 

 

Of course Avid will do a ton of PR on Avid and Gravity… Avid? Right? Please.
See here's what is going to happen, December - FCPX and Mac Pro ship. 
Prod co's will say; you can cut 4K now. DP's and directors will say, you can cut 4K now. 
No need to transcode. We will shoot 4K on everything now because you can cut 4K now with FCPX.
Agencies will say you can cut 4K now. No need to transcode. 
Wrong or right, this will happen. So, Avid, you need to do some heavy marketing. And what would be awesome,
would be if Avid released or previewed some awesome new features in December. Because this will happen.
Looks like Gravity shot around 2K. not 4K. but facts have little bearing on Apple driven hype.

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/article/managing-gravity's-workflow#.UmxbRBaPKhg

found link to this article on Jobs' timeline,thanks

owen

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (47)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

[Avid-L2] Re: Macbook Air?

 

Wow a separate waveform and vectorscope monitor of the composite era if I'm seeing correctly. Why do you need one of the crop circle thingy's on your system? Does it tell you something about the video? ;-)

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Degan <DennyD1@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:39 PM, <mactvman@...> wrote:
>
> > I am glad you have found a way to keep that first model of the MacPro working for you. I will say that those 1st generation Intel towers held up better than some of the subsequent models. They don't tend to overheat as much. The upgraded display card is probably a big factor as well, since AVID relies on the GPU a great deal. Most of my work involves many layers, AMA transcoding from many flavors of camera original files, and Online at 1:1, so I have to run something a little newer.
> > I am curious to hear if the additional RAM has a notable effect on performance.
>
> I state:
>
> I'll report my findings here after installation, which should be next week.
>
> Macman also asked:
>
> > A couple more things I was curious about... Are you running software only or with I/O, and if with I/O, what kind (AVID or 3rd party). Also, do you deliver digitally or to tape? And finally, what do you use for storage, Local disks, Internal array or some sort of shared storage solution?
>
> I answer:
>
> This is a software only Avid. No hardware I/O of any kind for Avid, however, I do have an AJA I/O HD for FCP7, which I turn off when running Avid (in fact, it's off most of the time now!). For media drives, I use a 7200RPM external drive mounted in a Voyager Drive Dock connected through e-SATA. The Voyager allows drives to be easily changed when changing projects/media. So far, I only need one drive at a time. This is probably the weakest point in the system, but I've encountered no problems since I rarely do multi-track layered work. Some ongoing media may also be found on one or more of the internal drives. I have 4 internal drives, one of which (an SSD) is mounted in the 2nd optical bay. The System drive (an SSD) is currently external, running on an e-SATA connection. Along with the new additional RAM, I have just ordered a 2 1/2-in to 3 1/2-in drive mounting adapter which will allow me to move the System SSD inside the computer into a currently free drive bay. I also intend to cut down on the number of internal spinning HD's I have, as they produce a lot of heat. Here's what it looked like in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/2867284509/
> It hasn't visually changed all that much except now I run Avid MC.
> The final products are output as media files, usually Quicktime Movies.
>
> Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
> NBC Today Show, New York
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] ama plugin hell

 

Or a phone conversation to the manufacturers guy and say - in order to be useable by avid you need to put a copy of your plugin at 
Or even a fixed path on the red site
The foundry manages it with plugins for nuke. Apple manages it with codecs for quicktime.

People just got to talk to people this is not hard in 2013 unless people act like it is. It's one line in the AMA partners agreement and everyone is happy.

Mike

On 27 Oct, 2013, at 4:20 am, <tcurren@aol.com> wrote:

 

Mike,


The problem is every time the manufacturer changes the web link it would be be a problem on the Avid side. They would have to update MC whenever that happened. With someone like RED, that could be a weekly process.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

In an ideal world for me it would work like quicktime - try to AMA a file it has no plugin for and media composer goes and gets it. That's all the interaction with it I need or want.

Mike 

On 27 Oct, 2013, at 12:26 am, Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@...> wrote:

 

These are all excellent solutions. I agree that this is a pain point and every time I have to track these things down, it's a struggle. I tend to go around in circles before I get where I download what I need.


The link should be directly from the Avid site to the correct spot on the manufacturer's site OR I like the idea of the marketplace or auto-updating, though both of those things have drawbacks... I personally wouldn't think to go to the marketplace for AMA plugins.

Steve

On Oct 26, 2013, at 9:32 AM, Marianna_Montague@... wrote:

 

Owen

Gotcha - will pass this along to Rob D'Amico and see if there is anything that can be done.  Terry - I like the Marketplace Idea - I will run that by the powers to be as well.


Marianna  



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <owen@...> wrote:

Hi Marianna,
It's just when you click "download" the plugin should download. 
Otherwise Don't label the links "download."
Label them "more information on where to download the plugin here"
thanks,
Owen 





On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:24 PM, <marianna_montague@...> wrote:

 

Owen....

Avid doesn't host the AMA plug-in's - the 3rd parties do as they change regularly.   Not sure what part of the below "doesn" work.

AMA Plug-in Guides

Downloads*

  • Arri ALEXA MXF/DNxHD AMA plug-in (download)
  • AVCHD AMA plug-in (download)
  • Canon XF 300 AMA plug-in (download)
  • Canon XF 305 AMA plug-in (download)
  • Ikegami GFCAM AMA plug-in (download)
  • MXF AMA plug-in (download)
  • Panasonic P2 AMA plug-in (download)
  • QuickTime AMA plug-in (installed with your software)
  • RED/RED EPIC AMA plug-in (download)
  • Sony HDCAM SR Lite AMA plug-in (download)
  • Sony XDCAM/XDCAM EX AMA plug-ins (download)
  • Sony F65RAW Plug-in for Avid v1.0 plug-in (download)
  • Hamburg Pro Media MPEG2 AMA plug-in (download)

* Please refer to the "AMA Plug-ins and Media Composer Version Compatibility" table for software requirements.

✝ Please note that AMA is a processor intensive application, and older platforms may not offer optimum performance.





__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (46)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 


On Oct 26, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Tony Quinsee-Jover wrote:

> Private image, Dennis.

I turn a bit red:


Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 

Private image, Dennis. 

T. 

Sent by magic over t'interweb


On 26 Oct 2013, at 22:08, Dennis Degan <DennyD1@verizon.net> wrote:

Here's what it looked like in 2008:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/2867284509/

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 


On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:39 PM, <mactvman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am glad you have found a way to keep that first model of the MacPro working for you.  I will say that those 1st generation Intel towers held up better than some of the subsequent models.  They don't tend to overheat as much.  The upgraded display card is probably a big factor as well, since AVID relies on the GPU a great deal. Most of my work involves many layers, AMA transcoding from many flavors of camera original files, and Online at 1:1, so I have to run something a little newer.
> I am curious to hear if the additional RAM has a notable effect on performance.

I state:

I'll report my findings here after installation, which should be next week.

Macman also asked:

> A couple more things I was curious about... Are you running software only or with I/O, and if with I/O, what kind (AVID or 3rd party).  Also, do you deliver digitally or to tape?  And finally, what do you use for storage, Local disks, Internal array or some sort of shared storage solution?

I answer:

This is a software only Avid.  No hardware I/O of any kind for Avid, however, I do have an AJA I/O HD for FCP7, which I turn off when running Avid (in fact, it's off most of the time now!).  For media drives, I use a 7200RPM external drive mounted in a Voyager Drive Dock connected through e-SATA.  The Voyager allows drives to be easily changed when changing projects/media.  So far, I only need one drive at a time.  This is probably the weakest point in the system, but I've encountered no problems since I rarely do multi-track layered work.  Some ongoing media may also be found on one or more of the internal drives.  I have 4 internal drives, one of which (an SSD) is mounted in the 2nd optical bay.  The System drive (an SSD) is currently external, running on an e-SATA connection.  Along with the new additional RAM, I have just ordered a 2 1/2-in to 3 1/2-in drive mounting adapter which will allow me to move the System SSD inside the computer into a currently free drive bay.  I also intend to cut down on the number of internal spinning HD's I have, as they produce a lot of heat.  Here's what it looked like in 2008:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/2867284509/
It hasn't visually changed all that much except now I run Avid MC.
The final products are output as media files, usually Quicktime Movies.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

RE: Re: [Avid-L2] ama plugin hell

 

Mike,


The problem is every time the manufacturer changes the web link it would be be a problem on the Avid side. They would have to update MC whenever that happened. With someone like RED, that could be a weekly process.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

In an ideal world for me it would work like quicktime - try to AMA a file it has no plugin for and media composer goes and gets it. That's all the interaction with it I need or want.

Mike 

On 27 Oct, 2013, at 12:26 am, Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@...> wrote:

 

These are all excellent solutions. I agree that this is a pain point and every time I have to track these things down, it's a struggle. I tend to go around in circles before I get where I download what I need.


The link should be directly from the Avid site to the correct spot on the manufacturer's site OR I like the idea of the marketplace or auto-updating, though both of those things have drawbacks... I personally wouldn't think to go to the marketplace for AMA plugins.

Steve

On Oct 26, 2013, at 9:32 AM, Marianna_Montague@... wrote:

 

Owen

Gotcha - will pass this along to Rob D'Amico and see if there is anything that can be done.  Terry - I like the Marketplace Idea - I will run that by the powers to be as well.


Marianna  



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <owen@...> wrote:

Hi Marianna,
It's just when you click "download" the plugin should download. 
Otherwise Don't label the links "download."
Label them "more information on where to download the plugin here"
thanks,
Owen 





On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:24 PM, <marianna_montague@...> wrote:

 

Owen....

Avid doesn't host the AMA plug-in's - the 3rd parties do as they change regularly.   Not sure what part of the below "doesn" work.

AMA Plug-in Guides

Downloads*

  • Arri ALEXA MXF/DNxHD AMA plug-in (download)
  • AVCHD AMA plug-in (download)
  • Canon XF 300 AMA plug-in (download)
  • Canon XF 305 AMA plug-in (download)
  • Ikegami GFCAM AMA plug-in (download)
  • MXF AMA plug-in (download)
  • Panasonic P2 AMA plug-in (download)
  • QuickTime AMA plug-in (installed with your software)
  • RED/RED EPIC AMA plug-in (download)
  • Sony HDCAM SR Lite AMA plug-in (download)
  • Sony XDCAM/XDCAM EX AMA plug-ins (download)
  • Sony F65RAW Plug-in for Avid v1.0 plug-in (download)
  • Hamburg Pro Media MPEG2 AMA plug-in (download)

* Please refer to the "AMA Plug-ins and Media Composer Version Compatibility" table for software requirements.

✝ Please note that AMA is a processor intensive application, and older platforms may not offer optimum performance.





__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (45)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 


On Oct 9, 2013, at 11:49 AM, I wrote:

> I have the original MacPro (1,1) from 2006 and it came with 4GB of RAM. I've since installed a total of 8GB.  I don't understand when you say its limit is 8GB.  It can be upgraded to 32GB and I'm thinking of doing just that.  It's still a wonderful machine and I'm using it daily for heavy duty work like Avid editing.  Except for occasional application freezes (not with Avid!), it runs well and I have no need to replace it.  The app freezes might be minimized when I increase the RAM to 32GB.

On Oct 24, 2013, at 9:02 PM, Richard Tibbetts wrote:

> Dennis old buddy, that machine blows for working with Gopro and all other MPEG files, and AMA, and the list goes on.  All of the non 64bit MBP versions blow.  They are also prone to motherboard and Nvidia chipset failures.  And HEAT.
> If it locks up for no reason - it's heat.  I installed smcFancontrol on mine and discovered the freezes would go away if I kept externally cooled at <150 deg.
> Santa should bring you, Greg and I at LEAST a 13' Retina MBP this year.  It's 2x as fast, with 2x the graphics and 2x TBolt ports than the MBAir, and weighs the SAME!   Also HDMI is built in.  Well worth the small bump in price.
> Let's all be good and keep an eye under the tree this year…

I now respond:

Richard, I never use GoPro video or any MPEG material.  And if I did, I'd transcode it to DNxHD145, so it would be the same as the rest of the media.  As I mentioned, I also don't use AMA, mainly for the reasons you stated.
I only have one application that freezes the computer.  But I suppose heat definitely could be a cause I hadn't previously considered.  I'll look into that.
BTW, this is a MacPro, NOT a MacBook Pro.  I have a MBP as well that's much newer (early 2011).
I'm probably going to buy a new MacPro next year after the dust has settled a bit.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___
There was an error in this gadget