Saturday, October 26, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 


On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:39 PM, <mactvman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am glad you have found a way to keep that first model of the MacPro working for you.  I will say that those 1st generation Intel towers held up better than some of the subsequent models.  They don't tend to overheat as much.  The upgraded display card is probably a big factor as well, since AVID relies on the GPU a great deal. Most of my work involves many layers, AMA transcoding from many flavors of camera original files, and Online at 1:1, so I have to run something a little newer.
> I am curious to hear if the additional RAM has a notable effect on performance.

I state:

I'll report my findings here after installation, which should be next week.

Macman also asked:

> A couple more things I was curious about... Are you running software only or with I/O, and if with I/O, what kind (AVID or 3rd party).  Also, do you deliver digitally or to tape?  And finally, what do you use for storage, Local disks, Internal array or some sort of shared storage solution?

I answer:

This is a software only Avid.  No hardware I/O of any kind for Avid, however, I do have an AJA I/O HD for FCP7, which I turn off when running Avid (in fact, it's off most of the time now!).  For media drives, I use a 7200RPM external drive mounted in a Voyager Drive Dock connected through e-SATA.  The Voyager allows drives to be easily changed when changing projects/media.  So far, I only need one drive at a time.  This is probably the weakest point in the system, but I've encountered no problems since I rarely do multi-track layered work.  Some ongoing media may also be found on one or more of the internal drives.  I have 4 internal drives, one of which (an SSD) is mounted in the 2nd optical bay.  The System drive (an SSD) is currently external, running on an e-SATA connection.  Along with the new additional RAM, I have just ordered a 2 1/2-in to 3 1/2-in drive mounting adapter which will allow me to move the System SSD inside the computer into a currently free drive bay.  I also intend to cut down on the number of internal spinning HD's I have, as they produce a lot of heat.  Here's what it looked like in 2008:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/2867284509/
It hasn't visually changed all that much except now I run Avid MC.
The final products are output as media files, usually Quicktime Movies.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment