Saturday, May 16, 2015

[Avid-L2] Latest Art of the Cut interview - (hopefully not seen as SPAM)

 

Fabienne Beauville, ACE. Editor of American Horror Story, Masters of Sex and Glee talks about her craft. 


She's editing on Avid, but is not really a big fan. I wonder what it is that makes her think FCP's trim tools are better than Avid's? (not being facetious) We discussed this and more "artistic" questions here: 


(note that I posted another interview with Documentary editor Andy Grieve on PVC in the middle of last week and look to post an interview with recent Emmy winner, Jesse Averna, who edits "Sesame Street."

Feel free to ask me to stop posting these or to let me know that they are useful. I don't want to spam the group. I DO want to provide valuable information.

Steve

__._,_.___

Posted by: Steve Hullfish <steve@veralith.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

So given the BMD UltraStudio 4K Extreme has two power supplies what's up with even mentioning two power cables?  Doesn't the BMD product include two power cords to go with the box?  In an old thread or two I know Bogdan has been dealing with Avid to eliminate the frame of black at the head of every insert edit to tape using BMD I/O.  I've duplicated his suggestions and still get the frame of black.  So as far as I know that still exists.  I find this insulting at this late date of Open I/O.  Now if this problem is magically eliminated with DNxIO, which I can't believe it wouldn't be, then does that mean I could just run the BMD 4K Extreme and no longer have the 1 frame of black?  I realize Avid is going to make sure the DNxIO will be up to snuff but will all he other BMD IO options work correctly when editing to tape?

I can't help but find this bug/oversight to be a deliberate hindrance on somebodies part.  Avid blames BMD but how hard can it be to roll the timeline 1 frame early to avoid the buffered frame of black.  AJA does this between their Sony "A" and "B" presets and the offset parameter is user accessible so the hooks are there why does this still not work with BMD products?  If it starts to work correctly on the DNxIO but continues to misbehave on the other BMD products then there's no doubt it's a software induced hindrance which I can only assume Avid is behind.  I see no reason why BMD wouldn't fix this on their own, but what do I know? 



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <tcurren@...> wrote :

Actually, I would call it a lie unless Blackmagic doesn't ship with actual power cables. From the Avid website:

Q. What are the differences between Avid Artist | DNxIO and the similar-looking Blackmagic Ultrastudio product?
A. Avid has the exclusive ability to offer the following:
  • Two power cables for redundant connection



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :

It's marketing. TMK, no other hardware IO has dual power supplies. As dubious in value this may be, high-end users will appreciate it. This is despite the fact that it means very little in the grand scheme of things. Therefore, it's just a marketing advantage, one of little real value.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
NBC Today Show
Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus


> On May 16, 2015, at 2:17 PM, tcurren@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> Then my question would be what is Avid saying is different since the Blackmagic version also has two power supplies. Does BM only ship one power cord and Avid ships two? Seems a little disingenious to sell that as a differentiator if it isn't one.

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] DNXiO FAQ

 

Woohahahahaha means Adrenaline in the language of the Wookies, isn’t it?

On 5/16/15, 5:05 PM, "'Job ter Burg (L2B)' Job_L2@terburg.com [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


Woohahahahaha.

On 16 mei 2015, at 18:10, blafarm@yahoo.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I was told that Avid would not let their flagship IO product have those kind of problems.

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Pale <pale.edit@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] [FR] AutoSync Clip Icon

 

A sync clip is a sequence that behaves like a subclip.

On 13 mei 2015, at 19:42, Benjamin Hershleder Ben@ContactBen.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

When AutoSyncing, it creates a Subclip. 
Subclip in my mind indicates that it's a portion of a longer clip (which in this case it's not, right?).
While there is likely some logic here that I'm missing, 
I think, that a Master Clip should be created instead.
And, since there might be situations where it'd be helpful to know that it's a product of AutoSyncing, 
then the clip icon could include the letter "A" or a dot (or something) inside the Master Clip icon.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Job ter Burg (L2B)" <Job_L2@terburg.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
avid-media-composer-cookbook.gif avid-media-composer-cookbook.gif


.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] DNXiO FAQ

 


Woohahahahaha.

On 16 mei 2015, at 18:10, blafarm@yahoo.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I was told that Avid would not let their flagship IO product have those kind of problems.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Job ter Burg (L2B)" <Job_L2@terburg.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

Actually, I would call it a lie unless Blackmagic doesn't ship with actual power cables. From the Avid website:


Q. What are the differences between Avid Artist | DNxIO and the similar-looking Blackmagic Ultrastudio product?
A. Avid has the exclusive ability to offer the following:
  • Two power cables for redundant connection



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :

It's marketing. TMK, no other hardware IO has dual power supplies. As dubious in value this may be, high-end users will appreciate it. This is despite the fact that it means very little in the grand scheme of things. Therefore, it's just a marketing advantage, one of little real value.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
NBC Today Show
Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus


> On May 16, 2015, at 2:17 PM, tcurren@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> Then my question would be what is Avid saying is different since the Blackmagic version also has two power supplies. Does BM only ship one power cord and Avid ships two? Seems a little disingenious to sell that as a differentiator if it isn't one.

__._,_.___

Posted by: tcurren@aol.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

It's marketing. TMK, no other hardware IO has dual power supplies. As dubious in value this may be, high-end users will appreciate it. This is despite the fact that it means very little in the grand scheme of things. Therefore, it's just a marketing advantage, one of little real value.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
NBC Today Show
Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

> On May 16, 2015, at 2:17 PM, tcurren@aol.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> Then my question would be what is Avid saying is different since the Blackmagic version also has two power supplies. Does BM only ship one power cord and Avid ships two? Seems a little disingenious to sell that as a differentiator if it isn't one.

__._,_.___

Posted by: DennyD1 <dennyd1@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

As far as I know the past and current BMD I/O cards still can't be used to output to tape.  They roll the timeline 1 frame late which results in a frame of black at the top of every insert edit.  I can't imagine the DNXiO doing this.  So will this mean the older cards are finally going to get this fixed.

The lack of universal mastering is a big shortcoming but so is the inability to make a proper insert edit to tape.  Does anybody know if this has been fixed with the current and past BMD cards?



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <tcurren@...> wrote :

John is correct, I was referring to Symphony Universal, or frame rate conversion. We use this constantly and it is only available with the Nitrsi DX / Symphony combo. It will be missed. The rest of the conversions the box does are available on the 1K cheaper Blackmagic version of the box. 

So, I am still not excited by this. Might as well go with AJA's 4K card and have the added reliability.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

I haven't gone through all the specs but perhaps it's the lack of Universal Mastering and not standards conversions that is missing.  Of late I've had a need for the universal mastering and as more of my series work switches to 23.976 offline and online with a 59.94 tape delivery I see more of it in my future.  So with this box is universal mastering gone like it has been with the other 3rd party I/O.  Is that feature impossible without the NitrisDX.

The mention of audio punch in seems to be something that use to be impossible with some or all 3rd party I/O solutions.  I'm virtually always on Avid hardware so I don't know it the audio punch in feature was ever enabled on 3rd party hardware.  Anybody know what that status is?


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :


On May 15, 2015, at 7:08 PM, tcurren@... wrote:

> So let's see, for a thousand dollars more you get and extra power cord (no mention of redundant power supply, just an extra cord)

I say:

The hardware unit has two built-in power supplies.  There would be no point in providing two power cords unless they connect to two separate built-in PS's:

Power supply

Two built-in international AC power supplies with IEC C14 inlet (120–240V, 50–60 Hz)


Mr. Curren:

> And you can save $500 by trading in your Nitris DX which had realtime standards conversion (goodbye to that feature), Ancillary data support (probably gone also), and the processing that Nitris DX took off the CPU / GPU hands.

I point out:

Artist has realtime hardware up/down/cross conversion:

Down conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware down conversion—Ultra HD to 1080 HD, or HD to SD on SDI B and SD on Component and NTSC/PAL; switch analog video to Component and choose HD or SD output; selectable between letterbox, anamorphic 16:9, and center cut 4:3 styles

Up conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware up conversion—SD to 720 HD or 1080 HD on playback; selectable between 4:3 pillarbox, 14:9 pillarbox, and 16:9 zoom; HD outputs via HD-SDI, HDMI, and component analog

Cross conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware cross conversion—720p to 1080i and 1080i to 720p on playback

Other hardware conversion

Colorspace conversion


Since Artist provides 2K, 4K, and UHD resolutions, it wins over Nitris DX which cannot handle these resolutions at all.  Artist's biggest limitation at the moment seems to be its lack of analog audio inputs and outputs as there is no way to monitor more than 4 analog channels of audio without additional external hardware (HDMI & SDI can accommodate up to 16 channels of imbedded audio in and out).

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

.

__,_._,___

[Avid-L2] Re: OTish: In Case You're Interested

 

And the 100,000 number is just a 'click-count' of folks who clicked on the "Let me know when MC|First is released" not folks that actually pre-registered for the product.  Tricky wording in an investor release...


Media Composer l First

 



__._,_.___

Posted by: switthaus@mac.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

Then my question would be what is Avid saying is different since the Blackmagic version also has two power supplies. Does BM only ship one power cord and Avid ships two? Seems a little disingenious to sell that as a differentiator if it isn't one. 



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :

     " The hardware unit has two built-in power supplies.  There would be no point in providing two power cords unless they connect to two separate built-in PS's:"

On May 15, 2015, at 7:08 PM, tcurren@... wrote:

> So let's see, for a thousand dollars more you get and extra power cord (no mention of redundant power supply, just an extra cord)

__._,_.___

Posted by: tcurren@aol.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 




---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <blafarm@...> wrote :

"When I questioned the logic of this approach, given the dismal historical performance of BMD drivers, I was told that Avid would not let their flagship IO product have those kind of problems."


Then why don't they do that now?

__._,_.___

Posted by: tcurren@aol.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

This was a big red flag for me at the show.  And when I asked about it, multiple reps confirmed that the DNXiO drivers would be written by, and be the responsibility of, Blackmagic Design.


When I questioned the logic of this approach, given the dismal historical performance of BMD drivers, I was told that Avid would not let their flagship IO product have those kind of problems.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <domqsilverio@...> wrote :

If it is native (not Open I/O) and drivers are written by Avid, I just don't see us migrating to AJA or Blackmagic. Even the best AJA drivers are not as stable and well integrated as Avid's Nitris DX with Media Composer.


__._,_.___

Posted by: blafarm@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)

.

__,_._,___

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: DNXiO FAQ

 

If it is native (not Open I/O) and drivers are written by Avid, I just don't see us migrating to AJA or Blackmagic. Even the best AJA drivers are not as stable and well integrated as Avid's Nitris DX with Media Composer.



Dom Q. Silverio

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM, tcurren@aol.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


John is correct, I was referring to Symphony Universal, or frame rate conversion. We use this constantly and it is only available with the Nitrsi DX / Symphony combo. It will be missed. The rest of the conversions the box does are available on the 1K cheaper Blackmagic version of the box. 

So, I am still not excited by this. Might as well go with AJA's 4K card and have the added reliability.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :


I haven't gone through all the specs but perhaps it's the lack of Universal Mastering and not standards conversions that is missing.  Of late I've had a need for the universal mastering and as more of my series work switches to 23.976 offline and online with a 59.94 tape delivery I see more of it in my future.  So with this box is universal mastering gone like it has been with the other 3rd party I/O.  Is that feature impossible without the NitrisDX.

The mention of audio punch in seems to be something that use to be impossible with some or all 3rd party I/O solutions.  I'm virtually always on Avid hardware so I don't know it the audio punch in feature was ever enabled on 3rd party hardware.  Anybody know what that status is?


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :


On May 15, 2015, at 7:08 PM, tcurren@... wrote:

> So let's see, for a thousand dollars more you get and extra power cord (no mention of redundant power supply, just an extra cord)

I say:

The hardware unit has two built-in power supplies.  There would be no point in providing two power cords unless they connect to two separate built-in PS's:

Power supply

Two built-in international AC power supplies with IEC C14 inlet (120–240V, 50–60 Hz)


Mr. Curren:

> And you can save $500 by trading in your Nitris DX which had realtime standards conversion (goodbye to that feature), Ancillary data support (probably gone also), and the processing that Nitris DX took off the CPU / GPU hands.

I point out:

Artist has realtime hardware up/down/cross conversion:

Down conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware down conversion—Ultra HD to 1080 HD, or HD to SD on SDI B and SD on Component and NTSC/PAL; switch analog video to Component and choose HD or SD output; selectable between letterbox, anamorphic 16:9, and center cut 4:3 styles

Up conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware up conversion—SD to 720 HD or 1080 HD on playback; selectable between 4:3 pillarbox, 14:9 pillarbox, and 16:9 zoom; HD outputs via HD-SDI, HDMI, and component analog

Cross conversion

Built-in, high-quality hardware cross conversion—720p to 1080i and 1080i to 720p on playback

Other hardware conversion

Colorspace conversion


Since Artist provides 2K, 4K, and UHD resolutions, it wins over Nitris DX which cannot handle these resolutions at all.  Artist's biggest limitation at the moment seems to be its lack of analog audio inputs and outputs as there is no way to monitor more than 4 analog channels of audio without additional external hardware (HDMI & SDI can accommodate up to 16 channels of imbedded audio in and out).

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York





__._,_.___

Posted by: "Dom Q. Silverio" <domqsilverio@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

.

__,_._,___
There was an error in this gadget