Saturday, October 26, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] Macbook Air?

 


On Oct 9, 2013, at 11:49 AM, I wrote:

> I have the original MacPro (1,1) from 2006 and it came with 4GB of RAM. I've since installed a total of 8GB.  I don't understand when you say its limit is 8GB.  It can be upgraded to 32GB and I'm thinking of doing just that.  It's still a wonderful machine and I'm using it daily for heavy duty work like Avid editing.  Except for occasional application freezes (not with Avid!), it runs well and I have no need to replace it.  The app freezes might be minimized when I increase the RAM to 32GB.

On Oct 24, 2013, at 9:02 PM, Richard Tibbetts wrote:

> Dennis old buddy, that machine blows for working with Gopro and all other MPEG files, and AMA, and the list goes on.  All of the non 64bit MBP versions blow.  They are also prone to motherboard and Nvidia chipset failures.  And HEAT.
> If it locks up for no reason - it's heat.  I installed smcFancontrol on mine and discovered the freezes would go away if I kept externally cooled at <150 deg.
> Santa should bring you, Greg and I at LEAST a 13' Retina MBP this year.  It's 2x as fast, with 2x the graphics and 2x TBolt ports than the MBAir, and weighs the SAME!   Also HDMI is built in.  Well worth the small bump in price.
> Let's all be good and keep an eye under the tree this year…

I now respond:

Richard, I never use GoPro video or any MPEG material.  And if I did, I'd transcode it to DNxHD145, so it would be the same as the rest of the media.  As I mentioned, I also don't use AMA, mainly for the reasons you stated.
I only have one application that freezes the computer.  But I suppose heat definitely could be a cause I hadn't previously considered.  I'll look into that.
BTW, this is a MacPro, NOT a MacBook Pro.  I have a MBP as well that's much newer (early 2011).
I'm probably going to buy a new MacPro next year after the dust has settled a bit.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment