Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] 10gbe nic recommendation for Z820

Ahhh the mighty Zelin strikes again.

Yes a 4port could do it.  There's super cheap $500 10Gb Qnap switches available that have a mix of both qty 6 Copper and any 6 Fiber ports.

I suggest the fiber option as fiber patch cables are sometimes cheaper than Cat6A and Cat7 copper cables.  And fiber will give you the full 10Gb speed whereas the copper cat6a or 7 will roll off/dimenish in speed very quickly at 180ft (55meters).  With om4 multimode fiber you could got up to ~1500ft (400m).  And to future proof that same om4 cable can support 25Gb/40Gb/100Gb.  



On Nov 3, 2020, at 12:05 PM, Jeff Kreines via groups.io <jeff=kinetta.com@groups.io> wrote:

A trick Zelin taught me was to use a 4-port NIC in the serve no switch needed until you have 5 machines to connect to.  Back then I used Atto cards and fiber.

On Nov 2, 2020, at 3:08 PM, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com> wrote:

Also, depending on which Qnap you're running, you may not need a switch.  Mine has a card slot right in the box, plus a dual-slot Tbolt3 slot.  So, I put an extra card in the extra slot, giving me two 10GigE connections - I have two bays, plus I sometimes attach my laptop via tbolt.  So, theoretically, I could have 4 devices connected.

I would recommend NOT connecting your qnap to the internet.  

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Nov 2, 2020, at 1:05 PM, Secret HQ <Greg@SecretHQ.com> wrote:

I'm using the QNAP 10gig e PCIe card in my 2010 MacPros - works great.  My distance is a 3-foot cable and a 15-foot cable, so… you know…


pretty sure it's that one, used to be $89… but, you know…

gh


----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Nov 2, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Karl Knowles <tech@knowlesvideo.com> wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a solid 10gbe nic compatible with the HP Z820 (and MC)?  General keyword searching for experiential feedback has come up short.

I recently added a QNAP NAS that supports 10gbe and would like to build a complete 10gbe pipeline.  The main use will be to speed up the archiving of media files from a large digitizing project.

Cheers,
Karl Knowles




Tim Gross  |  Field Services Engineer
Advanced Systems Group, LLC
Mobile: 415-846-9447
Office: 510-654-8300
www.asgllc.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment