Wednesday, February 14, 2018

[Avid-L2] More Font Joy than Humans should be allowed to have?

 

Working at a large facility this week and I ran into a Font Issue.  Offline was done on Mac and online on PC Avid.  The Font was EnglishGrotesque and when recreating the titles first Avid asked for EnglishGrotesque Bold.  We found that OTF font and installed it.  I had to point the font substitution to find it.  Then recreating it asks for EnglishGrotesque Medium.  Then the age old problem of Title Tool happens.  I load onto the PC the second font for EnglishGrotesque Medium but in Avid Title Tool only one choice for EnglishGrotesque shows up.  There is no appendage for Bold or Medium.  This is nothing new to me but I've never found a solution.  In photoshop both choices show up with the appendage EnglishGrotesque Bold and EnglishGrotesque Medium.

The next day I'm told the Facility IT guy ran the fonts through a Mac only converter and now in title tool I can see all the different EnglishGrotesque Bold, EnglishGrotesque Medium and 4 other variants.  The day online editor told me he still had to manually assign the fonts in the font substitution dialogue but now they are at least listed properly.  I want to know what was done but I'm not at the facility now.  Does anyone know what might have been used to convert the fonts?  I was also told that in converting they renamed each font in the family with the correct appendage name and they removed a space between EnglishGroutesque and the various appendage of Bold, Medium etc...  Somehow removing the space was important in this process.

I have Transtype Pro and have converted mac to PC and vice versa.  I recall there was a category of settings/parameters where there were fields of date for Font Family, Font Menu Name and a few other parameters.  I feel like whatever was done in the font conversion was effecting this parameters so that Title Tool would see each of the Font Family Styles with unique names.  I also seem to recall there being some function in TransType Pro that would the unique style names for each font into the menu name category.

Is there anyone with more Font knowledge that might have a clue what program the facility used and/or if I am correct in thinking TransType Pro could be a tool that could do this.  Any Font insight would be appreciated.  I'm of the impression that Title Tool's antiquated code is missing some basic functionality that Photoshop and virtually all other font related programs have when it comes to listing multiple variants in a font family. 

Hey wait isn't there an updated Title Tool replacement besides New Boo Effects?  I thought I heard that was in the works.  Has it happened and I missed it?

Bottom line:  I HATE FONTS!!!! 
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment