Thursday, August 10, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] EVGA GeForce GTX TitanX in expansion chassis MacPro won't boot?

 

Good to add these links to my tool box of sources.  Once I got the matching Nvidia driver for my system build I was able to just use the Nvidia driver manager system preference to update to the latest Nvidia Driver.  In hind sight I bet i already had the Nvidia driver manager in the system preferences but I didn't look.  If it was in fact already there I probably could have just used the aforementioned update in the system prefs instead of seaching the internet for the right driver info.

The Cuda  system pref also has an update link function that worked as well.

Thanks for the extra info.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <lists@...> wrote :

I frequently check this site here:



These folks are really quick in digging up the most recent NVidia drivers after a MacOS / macos System update. The drivers are legit and directly from NVidia.

I need this since I'm running a Cubix Expander with two NVidia GeForce GTX Titan Black - so far no issues here.

Oh, and did you get the latest CUDA-Update from NVidia's site?


MC 8.8.3 @ 10.10.5 (14F2511)

MacPro5,1 2x 2,66, 96GB RAM, GT 120 for GUI


hth


Jo





On 07.08.2017, at 22:06, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I purchased the Card at the end of 2015 in December for a Tax write off.  Of course now Avid won't start as I'm running 8.5.3 and it hangs at initializing AVX 2.  I've looked at the version matrix and I guess I need to update Sierra to 10.12.4 and try the latest 8.8.X.  The fun just never ends.  Now I have to dig around and find the legacy os updates as the app store updates only show 10.12.6.  I guess that would probably work but it's such a pain to revert to an older update I want to make sure of what version before marching forward.  Or in my case one step forward two steps back.  ;-)



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <domqsilverio@...> wrote :

If you ordered the card recently, it is likely you have the newer chipset thus Sierra is needed.



Dom Q. Silverio

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I have had success thanks to a lot of help from everyone.  It seems the ultimate solution was to upgrade to Sierra OS.  While I still think that 10.10.5 should work for the Titan X as per MacVidCards and others I think that only applies if it is the only GPU.  When running multiple GPUs you need Sierra.  I had confused the "multiple GPUs" to mean running more than one GPU in my expansion chassis.  But I guess having my gtx 680 in slot one of the MacPro Tower and a Titan X in the expansion chassis is considered to be mulitple GPUs.  I also think that if I just had an extra gtx 680 in the expansion chassis that might have worked to but the Titan X is too advanced a card to play nice without Sierra in a multiple GPU configuration, I'm not positive about this but my experience seems to suggest that combined with the advice I got from others.

Just to pay it forward to the next guy one of the less obvious stumbling blocks for me was to learn via MacVidCards page that I had to find the NVIDIA Driver which is referred to as a "web driver", and match it to the exact Mac OS system build.  Every time there is a little update to a mac os the system build number changes.  So there were several web drives listed for OS 10.10.5 from oldest to newest.  My initial 10.10.5 version number found in the about mac system system report software tab was osx 10.10.5 (14F2511).  It is the (14F2511) that signifies the build number.  As fate would have it the MacVidCard page that had links to the various web drivers wasn't complete and I could not find my build number there.  I did a google with the build number etc... and found the actual nvidia site page that had it.  If you don't have the build number matched the install won't run and it tells you you have the wrong OS.

The good news on the web driver front is it seems that once you have a compatible one installed it will provide a link to later required updates.  My example was I loaded the 10.10.5 web driver for my system build then I cloned that system drive and started up on the clone and I installed Sierra.  Once Sierra started up it immediately knew it had the wrong web driver and it reverted to the OS X built in GPU driver which is compatible with my gtx 680 so everything played nice.

When I was prompted to go to the nvidia driver manager in the graphic display tab there it has a button to check for updates and an install button.  That loaded the correct nvidia driver for the new system build number without me having to research it.  The same was true for the Cuda driver which can also be access in the system prefs Cuda control panel.  It has similar check for updates and install functionality.  Once that was done the Titan X showed up with a proper name and vram specs etc... and now Resolve sees both cards.

I did find out I should have ordered a bigger power supply for my expansion chassis as it comes in 650 watts or 1500 watts.  The Titan X requires 600 watts since I bought two I will have upgrade to the larger power supply before installing the second one.  I missed that option when I ordered the chassis last year.

So far so good it's bed time for Bonzo now.  Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.  I just can't do this stuff alone.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bogdan_grigorescu@...> wrote :

there were titan-x models in both Maxwell and Pascal microarchitectures, so there is a good chance John's is a Maxwell one(because the Pascal could only be ordered directly from nvidia or through select resellers) - so it should work just fine in 10.10.5

BG



From: "ph@... [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com 
Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2017 11:17 PM
Subject: [Avid-L2] Re: EVGA GeForce GTX TitanX in expansion chassis MacPro won't boot?

 
It's been stated by others but I'll say it again: the NVidia Pascal GPUs (Gtx 10x0, i.e. GTX1080, etc, Titan X) are only working with OS 10.12.5 and above. The drivers available for the earlier versions of Mac OS only support up to the Kepler cards (GTX 9x0).
You are on Mac OS 10.0.5, your card is NEVER going to work until you upgrade the OS to 10.12.5 or 10.12.6 and then install the corresponding drivers. 







__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment