Wednesday, February 24, 2016

[Avid-L2] Re: TitanX cards along with GTX-680 Mac Expansion Chassis or PC upgrade?

 

I am curious which PCIe SSD card you are using. (And curious what others are using in their MacPro Towers).

The Mac Pro 2012 has only PCIe slots (2 x 16 lane and 2 x 4 lane), and they are v 2.0, so each lane can do 500MB/sec.  Even in the 4 lane slots, you should be capable of 2GB/sec theoretical, depending on how well the cards drivers are written.  However, if you are using this Mac Pro with AVID, don't you fill the last two slots with I/O to your appliance and Fiber channel card to Unity?

Also, you aren't going to get the best out of the latest cards that are PCIe 3.0, due to the fact that MacPro is only PCIe 2.0.

It's not as fast as as a PCIe SSD card, but what I have done with my Mac Pro tower (2010) is place two SSDs of the same size in the optical bays and set them up RAID0, as my startup drive.  Even though those SATA connections are only 3 gigabit, I get an overall read/write speed of about 500 MB/sec, due to the Raid0.  Then I still have the 4 drive bays for a fast local RAID with traditional spinning drives, and my PCIe slots available for other cards.  Been thinking of putting in a 2nd graphics card in the other 16x PCIe slot for better render performance in Resolve.  Any suggestions?

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA

__._,_.___

Posted by: Dave Hogan <mactvman@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment