Wednesday, February 24, 2016

[Avid-L2] MacPro mid 2010 Upgraded to 12 core 3.33GHz GPU Upgrade from ATI Radeon HD 5770?

 

They are looking into upgrading my work SNDX 6.5.4.7 system currently on a MacPro mid 2010 Tower that was upgraded to 12 core 3.33Ghz with 24 GB Ram.  I was asked about upgrading the Ram.  Right now it has 6x 4GB ram chips with one open module for Ram.  IIRC when using 16 GB Ram chips they will not mix with any other size so I don't think we could add two 16GB Ram chips to the open module but we could add 2 x 8GB ram chips. 

I told them that ram is nice but what would really help is to upgrade the GPU from the Radeon HD 5770.  We have a mac version GTX-680 on another similar computer and of course it performs much better with Resolve transcodes and Adobe work.  I realize Avid won't benefit much from the GPU but I do end up running Resolve and Premiere for transcodes etc... so it would definitely help with that.

Now I'm told the TitanX is the card to have these days for Resolve but I've also been told it requires Mac OS 10.9 which I can't run because of legacy sanmp and unity medianet 5 compatibility issues.  I'm currently running OS 10.8.5 and even that pushes our infrastructure but I can live with it's limitations with our san solutions and network.  Anybody know what the best nvidia card that is mac compatible running OS 10.8.5.  I'm going to email black magic tech support for a recommendation but there is usually fast and more practical info here at the L2.  I heard of a GTX-780 that replaced the GTX-680 as the card to use a while back but is there anything between that and a titanx that will work on OS 10.8.5?  TIA
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment