Saturday, February 28, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Which Apple OS for MBP circa 2009 for Avid sweet spot"

 

i have a MBP 2008 w/SSD and 4 Gigs RAM, Built to Order with the fastest processor (2.6Ghz) and most RAM on the Video card (512M).  AVID 8.3 is impossible on it, it won't install. 7.04 is INCREDIBLY slow.  I find  it useable on 6.ox.  I run Lion on it.  Haven't tried MC/Symphony 6.5x

You can't do more than 8 gigs RAM on your machine, and it's only a core 2 duo, slower than the one I have, not even an i processor so no hyperthreading or extended video decode for H.264 and other long GOP codecs. MC 8.3 requires minimum a 6 core 3Ghz machine capable of hyperthreading (12 cores minimum) and 16 gigs of RAM.

Last time mine was peppy and reliable (With SSD and full RAM) was MC 5.5.x, but yours is a year newer, with same CPUs, a slightly newer NVidia display and double the ram. Your mileage may vary a bit.

The reason I recommend OS X 10.7.5 is that you can run anything from MC 5.5.5 to 7.0.4 under that OS, and the newer OSes just have more overhead/payload that will take away from what AVID needs to run.  Since you have a dongle (IIRC) you can run any of those versions with it. Your machine can run it full 64 bit. A big performance boost over Snow Leopard.

Only MC/Symphony v8.x requires 10.8.5 or newer Mac OS.  I may be wrong but I don't think MC 8.x will even let you install on a core 2 duo with 8 Gigs RAM.

I've said it before, but I really like Samsung SSDs, as they are an Apple technology partner.   Be sure to install trim support (difficult to do with Yosemite, but not impossible). The internal SATA interface on your machine is Sata II (3ghz) so I think you won't see HD speeds much over 280MB/Sec even though most new SSDs are faster than that.

Love to hear your experience, once you get the new partition installed.

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA


On Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:05 PM, "John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
I'm still running OS 10.6.8 on my summer 2009 MBP.  I recently went to 8GB of ram and an internal 1TB SSD.  There seem to be some bugs in the OS system and I get stalls of about 30 seconds and the beach ball then it snaps back to life.  I figure it's time to install a clean system on the 2nd partition of the SSD.  It's looking like 10.8.5 is kind of the sweet spot of overall Avid compatibility right now.  I realize /ver. 8.3 might not work well on my laptop but I've been running 6.5.3 ish for my minimal ancillary tasks.  Does anybody have a recommendation over 10.8.5.  I kinda think 10.9 might be a little better future proof but I don't want to jeopardize running back to 6.5.4 etc...  This is not a heavy lifting system so I can take my time installing and tweaking this second startup drive.  Any advice will be appreciated.
 
John Moore
Barking Trout Productions
Studio City, CA
bigfish@pacbell.net


__._,_.___

Posted by: Dave Hogan <mactvman@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment