Saturday, February 28, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Kona 4: Latency & Playback Issues ?

 

I think now with that video I understand more clearly what you're talking about. I may have this, but I never would know since I am almost always looking and listening at the output and not the tiny playback window on the desktop. In fact, I have my window much smaller than you have yours, since I'm using a single screen display on my system. I find I make much better decisions when looking at a perfectly locked in sync output on a larger display. So please do not take my previous statement into account for this issue. I was much more interested in this thread in talking about the AJA control panel and wondering why anyone was messing with it after initial configuration.

I saw when I first set up my systems that there was a compensation somewhere, but I never bothered to mess with it, since so much of what I would be working on I'd be looking at the output from the I/O and not looking at the desktop. Any delay there never bothered me, and the delay between the desktop and a tape return never bothered me either. As long as the output looked good (and I get sync audio from the audio output of the FSI display), I'm good.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM, blafarm@yahoo.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I was a bit confused when AJA said that the "Desktop Play Delay" issue affected all AJA devices using the driver -- and that it was being worked on.  More specifically, I'm referring to the latency between the Avid GUI Source/Record monitors – and the AJA HD-SDI/HDMI output.


It's hard to believe that other professional editors would accept the amount of latency I am seeing, especially as it seriously impacts timing, rhythm, lip sync and sound effects layout.


Accordingly, I spent a few moments this morning shooting a down-and-dirty video that illustrates the problem.  

The video linked below was shot at 29.97, and as you can see, there are at least 4 frames of delay on the AJA HD-SDI/HDMI output.  I have measured even more of a delay when scrubbing frame-by-frame.


I know Mark Spano indicated he was not seeing this latency.  But is anyone else seeing (or not seeing) this latency issue with AJA interfaces?

Thanks for your feedback.


 


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment