Friday, April 5, 2013

[Avid-L2] Re: Upgrade to 6.5 causes loudness shift?

 

This sound similar to all the strange audio mixdown issues I've seen where the output setting mono vs. stereo or direct causes a difference of 3db when summing stereo stems. To review if I'm set to mono on output then the sum of two stereo music tracks etc... will require a -6db audio mixer setting to compensate properly for the summing. Doing the same thing with the output setting set to stereo and the resulting audio mixdown requires a -3db audio mixer setting for the resulting track to maintain the proper summed level and the behavior is the same when in direct. I've yet to figure out the change in behavior but I speculate it might have something to do with the addition of stereo tracks but IIRC those existed in 5.5 too so why the different behavior in V6 and above?

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "tim_selander" <selander@...> wrote:
>
> I have been moved over to management in our little company, so have not done any finishing since all the rules about loudness changed. However, I'm still the go-to trouble shooter for our Avids because all you wonderful guys and gals speak English, and I'm the only English speaker here....
>
> So I only have a tenuous grasp on loudeness. But we've just upgraded from MCS 5.5 to 6.5, and our first delivery with 6.5, printed to HDCAM tape, are getting kicked back from various stations' QC because they are all 3db louder than they are supposed to be.
>
> My guy tells me he's followed the same procedure as last week as last week with MCS5.5, and can't figure out what he's doing wrong.
>
> Using the Nugen VisLM plugin, Mac OSX. Blackmagic Decklink for the interface.
>
> Can anyone give me a clue???
>
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tim Selander
> Tokyo, Japan
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment