Friday, August 17, 2012

Re: {Disarmed} [Avid-L2] Re: DPX sequence / Metafuse issue.

You might try adding some grain or noise to the image, if the banding isn't too extreme this can often soften the banding and in a lot of cases remove it entirely.

Darren

On Aug 17, 2012, at 5:23 PM, blafarm wrote:

> I've seen this many times before and have determined that the banding is sadly unavoidable. However, I cannot tell you what the exact cause is -- and neither could Avid.
>
> Some time ago, I needed to create a number of smooth gradient back plates for some episodic title sequences and saw the same thing. I tried both the Title Tool and Marquee, every flavor of DNxHD (including uncompressed), every project type/framerate/resolution -- and 10-bit file depths -- and the banding would not go away.
>
> And the banding was readily apparent in Avid's Record window, in the HD-SDI output of my Mojo DX -- and on my BMD Ultrascope.
>
> I was so frustrated that I opened a support case with easily repeatable instructions. And even though they saw the exact same thing -- I was offered no explanation and no solution. Nice work Avid.
>
> Ultimately, the only technique I could use was to apply successive Boris blurs to the back plates -- and it still didn't look good. Of course, that approach is not even an option for you.
>
> You know, it's embarrassing to have clients sitting behind you when neither MC nor Symphony can display a simple smooth gradient without banding -- no matter how much bandwidth you throw at the problem.
>
> I expect to see that type of compression artifact from a cable or satellite provider -- I don't expect it from my "broadcast quality" editing application.
>
> --- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Mark Santora <mrsantora@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> > I've gotten some DPX sequences and run them through Metafuse down to a
> > DNxHD 175 X res. Strangely, when I do it, the backgrounds which are
> > gradients behind some talking heads start to band. When I do the the
> > same process in After Effects but go to Animation codec, the banding is
> > gone. Is this a DNxHD issue? a Metafuse issue? A color depth issue on
> > the gradients? I've never run into this before. Anyone?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mark Santora
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mark Santora
> > http://www.marksantora.com
> >
>
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment