Friday, August 17, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: DPX sequence / Metafuse issue.

 

I've seen this many times before and have determined that the banding is sadly unavoidable. However, I cannot tell you what the exact cause is -- and neither could Avid.

Some time ago, I needed to create a number of smooth gradient back plates for some episodic title sequences and saw the same thing. I tried both the Title Tool and Marquee, every flavor of DNxHD (including uncompressed), every project type/framerate/resolution -- and 10-bit file depths -- and the banding would not go away.

And the banding was readily apparent in Avid's Record window, in the HD-SDI output of my Mojo DX -- and on my BMD Ultrascope.

I was so frustrated that I opened a support case with easily repeatable instructions. And even though they saw the exact same thing -- I was offered no explanation and no solution. Nice work Avid.

Ultimately, the only technique I could use was to apply successive Boris blurs to the back plates -- and it still didn't look good. Of course, that approach is not even an option for you.

You know, it's embarrassing to have clients sitting behind you when neither MC nor Symphony can display a simple smooth gradient without banding -- no matter how much bandwidth you throw at the problem.

I expect to see that type of compression artifact from a cable or satellite provider -- I don't expect it from my "broadcast quality" editing application.

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, Mark Santora <mrsantora@...> wrote:
>
>
> I've gotten some DPX sequences and run them through Metafuse down to a
> DNxHD 175 X res. Strangely, when I do it, the backgrounds which are
> gradients behind some talking heads start to band. When I do the the
> same process in After Effects but go to Animation codec, the banding is
> gone. Is this a DNxHD issue? a Metafuse issue? A color depth issue on
> the gradients? I've never run into this before. Anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Mark Santora
>
> --
>
> Mark Santora
> http://www.marksantora.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment