Saturday, July 16, 2011

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Avid live to edit

 

I've had the reverse experience with the same tools.

For instance, creating a DVD from an HD timeline. Exporting a 1080p
ProRes quicktime out of Avid, and encoding to DVD using Compressor gives
me levels that look pretty good, whereas if I export Same as Source
(from DNxHD sources) Compressor gives me DVD levels that are clearly wrong.

Likewise, if I export a DNxHD quicktime (either self-contained or
reference) from Avid, and play it in FCP7 (or QT Pro), the levels are
much farther off than if I export to ProRes from Avid and bring that
into FCP.

This is all on Mac, of course, software Avid v.5.0.3.x.

Oddly, I think it was your blog, Oliver, that led me in this direction.
IIRC, you pointed out that both ProRes and DNxHD use studio levels, but
the quicktime underlying Apple's ProApps treats DNxHD as though it used
RGB levels. I have to assume that when Avid exports to ProRes it
compensates for this in some way.

Cheers,
--Michael

On 11-07-16 8:06 AM, oliverpetersvidy wrote:
>
> I haven't found the export to ProRes to look right. I've had more
> success with export "same as source (Avid codec)" and then transcode
> to ProRes using Compressor.
>
> - Oliver
>
> > Job ter Burg wrote:
> > ....And your color levels will be....where exactly?
> >
> > > jeffsengpiehl wrote:
> > > Simply export to a ProRes movie.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

If you want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment