Friday, March 8, 2024

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Archiving in The Cloud

Like Mark, and perhaps for less data I use:

Backblaze for "cloud" backup. In case disaster strikes; e.g., fire or theft…and no access to the local offsite backup. But that's for stuff I'm working with and/or may need to refer to in the near future. But good and reliable so far.
https://www.backblaze.com/

I also work with people who use Amazon Glacier for longer-term archives. About $1 USD per terabyte per month. Not cheap. Not fast. But it's there.

And of course iCloud and Google Drive for some small working files, but that's not archive.

Frankly, my concern is less data breach / hackers than a cloud host going out of business or "changing direction" and no longer offering the services I use. Which companies will be around in 5-10-more years, and which will still think of cloud storage as a business they want to be in?

Best,

Jim

On Mar 8, 2024, at 9:32 AM, Sol Fischler via groups.io <sol.fischler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi All --

A quick "off-topic" conversation:  how advisable/reliable would it be to archive my work (over 30 years worth) in the Cloud?

I have most of my stuff saved & mirrored across 2-5tb hard drives right now, but as they say, eventually, all hard drives fail.

Does the Cloud ever fail?  Will my stuff last "forever," or is there a shelf life even on the Cloud?

Side question:  those places that offer a lifetime of 10tb Cloud storage -- has anyone here ever taken advantage?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thank you!

-- Sol

No comments:

Post a Comment