Friday, March 8, 2024

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Archiving in The Cloud

Hi Sol,

I've been a faithful user and proselytizer of Backblaze for over a decade now. In its cheapest ($75/yr unlimited storage), it is not "cloud storage" per se. It is more like "cloud insurance". A slow archive that's mostly inaccessible except for when you need it and then small things can be easily restored from the web, and large things can be recovered with a physical drive mailed from the company.

I can say that it has never failed me, but it does require constant live archiving. In other words, whatever you intend to have live in the cloud archive needs to be live on your local system at least for a day every 30 days. So I hang my (like you) mirrored array on my Backblaze running desktop, and let the automatic extension upload anything it finds there to the archive. It is end-to-end secure and only accessible by me with 2FA. I trust it as my off-site archive and basically my data insurance. In the 11 years that I've had my archive, which has grown to about 6.5 TB, I've had zero downtime or other issues reported from Backblaze. That's not saying nothing bad could happen, but it's a decent track record so far.

Just my anecdotal experience, something to look into. I do not have any recommendations for other more accessible cloud storage solutions, but in my work I do use Amazon S3 which is much more costly and seems to be a little more accessible. I also use Google Drive which has a terrible interface but very useful for access and sharing files, and use GoodSync as a front end which works quite well integrating with the Drive space (treats it more like an FTP that you can push/pull stuff up and down easily). Those things just cost more for their convenience and level of access, but I would recommend looking at them as well.


On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 12:32 PM Sol Fischler via groups.io <sol.fischler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All --

A quick "off-topic" conversation:  how advisable/reliable would it be to archive my work (over 30 years worth) in the Cloud?

I have most of my stuff saved & mirrored across 2-5tb hard drives right now, but as they say, eventually, all hard drives fail.

Does the Cloud ever fail?  Will my stuff last "forever," or is there a shelf life even on the Cloud?

Side question:  those places that offer a lifetime of 10tb Cloud storage -- has anyone here ever taken advantage?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thank you!

-- Sol

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#136424) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment