Friday, February 24, 2023

Re: [Avid-L2] Is DNxHR only Progressive?

Here are my thoughts and experiences.

DNx HR does NOT support Progressive.  And while it might seem to benignly deal with it by flagging interlace material as progressive, I have seen it mess with interlace material in odd ways.  Almost like doing a slight blend between the fields.  Not good.

Avid has had an effect to deal with fields not in the order you need for awhile now.  It is called Field Swap found in the Image filters.  It is applied to a clip in a sequence.

All this said, I have turned to Resolve Studio for material such as this for the following reasons.

1. I can go into clip attributes and change the field order on a media file if needed.

2. I can use the DaVinci Neural Deinterlacer to deinterlace the material to make it progressive.  While the name is a bit cheesey, I like the result.  I tend to take interlace material into a sequence matching its frame rate and raster dimensions, apply the deinterlacer and render out a new file.

3. If I want to commit to an upconvert at this point, I will use the basic transform tool in Resolve, BUT I take advantage of the large selection of filters to optimize the processing.  And I do this after the deinterlace process.  While there is a "AI" based uprezing tool, I have not found it to be better in my experience.

Now, take into consideration that most of what I do is finish low budget indie docs where the stock footage is generally pretty low quality.  I am doing the best I can with the budget allowed.

Jef
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#136074) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment