Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Dell Precision 3660 Tower PCIe slot use

Karl –

 

What do you have to lose?

 

BTW, the last Dell I configured had the Thunderbolt turned off in the BIOS.  It was a pain to figure out – even Dell tech support didn't have a clue.

 

Thanx,

 

dave@spraker.tv
(971) 267-7661

 

From: Avid-L2@groups.io <Avid-L2@groups.io> On Behalf Of Karl Knowles
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2022 10:16 AM
To: Avid-L2@groups.io
Subject: [Avid-L2] Dell Precision 3660 Tower PCIe slot use

 

Is anyone using a Dell Precision 3660 Tower along with an Avid DNX-IQ (or the BMD equivalent) with MC 2022.x?

I'm putting together such a system at the moment and am curious if anyone has installed the BMD PCIe cable kit in slot #1 of the 3660T instead of slot #3 as Avid recommends.  And, if so, whether you had any performance issues.

Slot #3, which is PCIe Gen 4, seems like overkill as the BMD PCIe I/O card is a PCIe Gen 3 device.  Slot #1 would appear to be better match as it is a PCIe Gen 3 slot. 

Putting the BMD in slot #1 would allow me to leave slot #3 open for the Dell Thunderbolt 4 PCIe card, when and if it becomes available, for external storage. 

Avid recommends slot #1 be used for Nexis shared storage with up to 40Gb support so I doubt there would be a data bandwidth issue with that slot/bus and the BMD card, but I'm certainly no expert.

I realize Avid would never have the time to test all possible configurations and I've got some spare time so I suppose I'll give it a try and see what results I get.

Feel free to chime in if you've gone down this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment