Thursday, April 14, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] 29.97 to 23.976 for a Series?

Sorry, that first sentence should be 

The best 29.97i to 23.976p that I have persona done…

Bad bad typo.

Jay


On Apr 14, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Jay Mahavier via groups.io <jay_mahavier=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

The best 23.97i to 23.976p that I have personally done is lengthy and labor intensive, but it does end up looking good, in my opinion.  Now it's been a while since I've done this, so some of the tools I'm going to list will be outdated, but I'm sure you can figure out a newer equivalent.

The basic steps are…

1-extract each field to it's own frame with line interpolation  (I did this on FCP7 with blink and something else).  So now you have basically 60fps.  I would exported to TIFF or DPX and would make an image sequence.

2-so now you have these image sequences that are basically 60p.  Now this needs to be doubled with a slowmo effect with interpolation again (I would do this either in a Flame or with FCP7 again).  Again making a image sequence that is the equivalent to 120p.

3-then using a line command I would copy just the files that had frame numbers ending in 0 and 5 to a new folder.

4-then I would use a rename tool, like A Better Finder Rename, to rename the files so they are sequential.

5-then I would convert that image sequence into a new QT using QTpro.


I'm sure a lot of people will say all that shit is just crazy and it's a terrible idea blah blah blah.  But whatever.  It worked great 15~20 years ago.  Better than I expected.


Jay


On Apr 14, 2022, at 12:01 AM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

A friend is starting a series that was shot at 29.97, not sure if it's progressive or 59.94 interlace, and the shows are supposed to be delivered in 23.976.  He'll be working in Resolve and thinks the Optical Flow in Resolve will do a decent conversion but he's not sure.  I know Avid's Fluid Motion conversion is prone to artifacts that can be very problematic.  Does Optical Flow in Resolve have similar issues?  I'm not sure what the under the hood mechanics are for 29.97 media in a Resolve 23.976 project.  I'm not that versed in Resolve's motion adapter specifics.  Are there choices like in Avid's motion adapters to control how the motion is adapted?

I'm suggesting to my friend he ask for an exemption to deliver in native frame rate but I don't know who the client or network/streamer is.

Any suggestions besides flogging production for shooting 29.97?  ;-)

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net


No comments:

Post a Comment