Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Re: [Avid-L2] Connecting Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 2 on Avid DNxIO?

Hi John,


for what I can tell on our findings here, and that's also "approved" by Apple: the M1 (Apple Silicon) architecture does not support TB1/2 anymore, even not over adaptors.

We are sitting on two BMD UltraStudio 4Ks sporting TB 1 / TB2 respectively and if attached to the M1 MacBook Pro (Max) we have here they are not recognised at all. However, they do work on the latest MacPro Intels we are running as the main brains. The Avid DNxIOis the 3HE-Version, formely branded "UltraStudio Extreme" but if it's the TB 2-version my guess is: it won't work on the M1. Maybe Marianna can confirm?

Best

Jo

Jochen "Jo" Hermann
filter Media Postproduction
Salzburg, Austria

On 9. Mar 2022, at 03:03, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

Seeing the new Mac Studio with it's 4 Thunderbolt 4 connections I'm wondering if those could be used to connect to my Avid DNxIO which has Thunderbolt 2 connection.  I've always controlled it through a PCIe cable from MacPro 5.1.  Would it make more sense to get a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 expansion chassis and put my PCIe card in that?  I seem to recall years back there was mention that using Thunderbolt to the DNxIO had certain limits that the PCIe didn't.  This was a while ago but just curious what possibilities there are to go from the TB 4 to TB 2.  I have some TB2 to TB3 adapter cables that worked on an external self powered drive array but I've less than glowing reviews of these adapters.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment