Thursday, August 26, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Avid Perpetual License Price Increase?

Marianna,

I too have been faithfully sticking to the perpetual license, renewing each year for updates.  But since I don't need Avid for work anymore, I had been considering dropping the perpetual license.  With the price increase, I should have either: (1) ended my yearly payment for support and updates or (2) gone over to the subscription side.  I chose to maintain the perpetual license, not just for a year, but for 2 more years at the current price.  Maybe I'm a fool, but I like having the perpetual license.
Question for you: Since I've had a perpetual license for about 5 years now, if I convert it to a subscription and in 2 years I stop the subscription, will my software cease to work?  If true, after having a perpetual license for so long, that would convince me to NOT get a subscription and simply allow my perpetual license run out of support/upgrades after the 2 years I just purchased.  Because it would be better to have a working perpetual license and no support/upgrades than to have no working software at all after 2 years.  Am I crazy?  (Don't answer . . . . )

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
        Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus


On Aug 26, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Marianna <marianna.montague@avid.com> wrote:

Hi again Karl

 

I know you aren't flaming here but I do want to outline what the benefits of subscription are:

  • Lower price/lower cost of entry
  • More options for pricing (pay up front, get a discount (MonthtoMonth, AnnualPaidMonthly)
  • More features
  • Includes support (phone and web based ) and upgrades
  • More options depending on the model
  • It's more than likely we continue to drive more features to subscription only offerings
  • MSFT raised the price of perpetual for 2021, reduced the length it will support it, upgrades are limited and confusing and it's still pretty much an island.
  • Avid offers a perpetual option for reasons you outlined; some users have a specific need for a perpetual license.  It's a different product from subscription
  • Also, subscription offerings do not have to stay connected to the internet

 

I understand you have religion over perpetual products, it's why we offer a perpetual version.  But yes, we want users on subscription. It's providing consistent revenue so we can continue to develop our products and add features for our users, offers so many options for customers on options for pricing and features they want to choose when they need them. 

 

😊 again not being difficult on my end either just trying to articulate the benefits too.

Marianna

Marianna Montague
Sr. Director, Customer Success Management 
Customer Experience & Customer Success
Avid - Remote
marianna.montague@avid.com 
t +1 (978) 640-5215   |  m +1 (813) 493-6800 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment