Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Where is my dream GPU???


As soon as you do, you will wonder why you waited so long.


On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 7:04 PM Secret HQ <Greg@secrethq.com> wrote:
Im trying to keep mine going but it's becoming nearly impossible.  At some point I need to build a pc...

________________________
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
GK Huson, LLC
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com


On Apr 27, 2021, at 15:37, pale.edit via groups.io <pale.edit=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:


I had forgotten about this, but I also had similar issues when switching to the Radeon Pulse after years with NVidia drivers.  I got it to boot properly after several PRAM resets.  I was on Mojave, so it identified properly.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 5:52 PM John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:
So I got my over priced Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 and it works.  One quirk I had was that I replaced the GTX-980Ti 6GB but didn't remove the nVidia webdriver.  The computer booted fine and I got the Cuda Driver error message.  I went to the menu bar nVidia Control and set it to use the OSX default drivers and rebooted.  Well that brought up just grey blank screens.  I reinstalled the 980Ti and turned the nVidia drivers back on and then rereinstalled the RX 580.  That again worked with the Cuda Driver error message.  I then uninstalled the nVidia webdriver in Sys Prefs opening it up and unlocking it to enable the uninstall button.  Then I google and found how to manually  clean out the Cuda Driver.  It's 5 sudo lines of whatever entered in terminal.  I just cut and pasted them

So now it works on my 10.13.6 startup and 10.12.6 startup although in 10.12.6 the GPU is not identified correctly but it does say it's supported.  I suppose this is because OS 10.12.6 was before the RX 580 so it's not in whatever look up table or whatever the OS uses to identify GPUs it supports.  It is correctly recognized in OS 10.13.6 falling into some metal family support.  Here is the info just in case anyone is tinkering.

OS 10.12.6:

<dummyfile.0.part>

<dummyfile.1.part>

OS 10.13.6

<dummyfile.2.part>

<dummyfile.3.part>

Cuda Removal Manually through Terminal:

<dummyfile.4.part>


Hope this might help someone else trying to limp along with an old cheese grater.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135231) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment