Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Re: [Avid-L2] Where is my dream GPU???

So I got the card running okay and I just had to buy GeekBench 5.4.0 and it runs the GPU tests fine in Open CL mode but when I switch to Metal it quits the testing cycle when Feature Match comes up so I get no report.  I googled and some speculate that Feature Match might make the card draw too much power but others say it's an OS issue.  One person even had the GPU in an expansion chassis with a 1500 Watt PSU.  So for him power would not seem to be the issue.  Others say they could run the Metal GPU test in Geek Bench 4 but not in 5.  I don't hear the cooling fan kicking in during these tests and I have Temp Guage app showing nice and cool low rpms on the fans.

So assuming Feature Match test is drawing too much power and that causes it to quit the test but not crash the Geek Bench 5.4.0 program why does it work correctly in Open CL?  Ultimately I thought when the GPUs ran out of power they just throttled back performance but didn't necessarily crash the process running.  I've been told the RX 580   needs 225 watts which it has from the multted dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin supplying 150 watts and the PCIe buss with another 75 watts.  It seems to point to something quirky with Geek Bench 5.4.0 as I've found 4ish posts about similar crashes.

There is also a graphic/compute switch on the RX 580.  Default is Graphic Mode which draws more power.  I saw in windows there is a control panel interface where you can set the mode.  I'm not sure where the switch comes into play.  The mac drivers are supposedly in the OS so I see nothing in system prefs.  Bottom line the card seems to work I'm just wondering if some sort of Pixas Mod would solve this testing crash?
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#135232) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment