Saturday, October 31, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Delivery to PBS from Avid with embedded captions

I only deliver directly to PBS maybe once a year, on average.  I sat
through a early version of a webinar (conference call while looking at a
website) on containerization back when PBS started down that road. 
Every single one of the PBS people I've worked with since seemed to want
to avoid it.  So, lucky me, I've never had to deliver containerized to PBS.

I do agree with and maybe go a little farther than Wilson on the choice
between DNxHD 145 and XDCAM50.  Both are 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.  Both
are typically 8 bit.  DNxHD is intraframe.  XDCAM is interframe.  That
allows XDCAM 50 to make much better use of its 50 mbps than DNxHD makes
of its 145 mbps.  XDCAM uses more complex math but modern processors are
more than up to the task.  In theory, XDCAM might suffer in some
instances of really fast changing shots but I've never noticed a big
problem.  On fairly static scenes, XDCAM is, in theory, quite a bit
better.  That said, I doubt I could consistently and correctly pick
which codec is which in a blind test.  At the facility where I work,
everything goes into the broadcast server as XDCAM 50 and is transcoded
from there. So, it's to my advantage to work in XDCAM when I can to
avoid transcodes.
--J.B.

Jef Huey wrote:
>
> Hi JB,
> Thanks for responding. Interesting comment about XDCam50.  We have
> used that path via AME with success.  But trying DNx145 via AME did
> not work.  Odd.
>
> One big question - were the shows you delivered to PBS containerized? 
> That is where our issues occurred.
>
> On a side note, PBS has published a 2020 TOS.  One big thing is that
> they will now accept DNx220 and DNx220x files.  This is great seeing
> as how most of the the shows sent to us to prepare for PBS are ProRes
> HQ.  Even dumbing them down to DNx145 has always felt bad to me.  And
> I fight like heck to avoid XDCam50.
>
>




-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#134897): https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/message/134897
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/77916679/2971402
Group Owner: Avid-L2+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/Avid-L2/leave/5759084/1548653033/xyzzy [administrator242.death@blogger.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment