Thursday, September 17, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] How is the Internet/Bandwidth working for people?

This pandemic will definitely change a lot of what we do and how we do it. I'm really impressed with how well basic infrastructure has held up. The amount of residential data transfer, particularly during daytime hours likely increased by an order of magnitude over the span of a few weeks. Cell phone traffic also shifted. Most systems made the changes without interruption. JB 


On Sep 17, 2020, at 5:58 PM, Jo's Mailinglists <lists@filter-media.net> wrote:

Me guessing: Covid is for the internet like Fukushima for tapes — though and alas, not at the same speed.

However, you are right: Theres more to bring up fibre than abandon magnetic recording on physical.

my 2¢


Jo

On 18. Sep 2020, at 00:34, JBeck <jb30343@windstream.net> wrote:

I have very slow DSL. I've been using HPRGS and I'm amazed at how productive I can be. Yes it lags. Yes the picture sucks while playing. Yes sync is soft. But I can sit at home and have almost full access to my system at work. My only complaint is that HP changed the name. JB 


On Sep 17, 2020, at 5:25 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:


I recall speculation that in the US the internet was going to be stressed due to the Pandemic and people working from home.  My wife has successfully edited remotely first with HPRGS and then with Splashtop.   Another assistant id using Jump Desk.

For the last approx. 3 weeks I've noticed a lot more audio issues on my Zoom meetings.  This coincides with LA school etc... getting back online.

Curious what others are seeing in their daily work?


John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment