Thursday, June 25, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] GPU upgrade from GTX-680 to ????? Mid 2012 MacPro 12 core

I have been using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (not the TI version) with 6 gigs onboard ram.  It has worked great for me, though I have not tested it with Resolve, or newer MacOS versions.  I am still running El Capitan on the machine that uses it, but getting ready to jump to HS.

Per an article from Apple website it is Metal compatible:


This card may be an option for you, and flashed versions are available through Macvidcards.com (whom I hear is kinda flakey this days on his GPU business).  I got mine on e-bay a couple years ago.  Its a very solid card with one caveat.  It is power hungry and requires dual cables.  More than what you can draw from the two mini PCIe power connectors on the motherboard.  I used one of those, and piggybacked from my SATA optical bay for the second.

The card works fine most of the time, but if you hit it hard (like with a 3d render test) it will eventually shut down if you don't have it properly powered.  The Pixelas mod is also workable to power it.

my .02

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA


On Jun 25, 2020, at 11:24 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

IIRC Dom you were the one that mentioned to me in a thread that because my GTX-680 only has 2GB vram while the two Titan X GPUs in the expansion chassis each have 12 GB of vram that I should not allow Resolve to  use the GTX-680 for anything other than GUI otherwise Resolve will only see 2GB of vram in all the GPUs limiting it to the lowest vram gpu in the processing chain.  Was it you or someone else that gave me that info?

No comments:

Post a Comment