Thursday, June 25, 2020

[Avid-L2] GPU upgrade from GTX-680 to ????? Mid 2012 MacPro 12 core

Mac Pro mid 2012 12 core upgraded CPU to 3.46 GHz, 64GB ram, GTX-680 2 GB vram, Mac OS 10.12.6 and 10.13.X on two boot drives.  I also have an expansion chassis with two Titan X GPUs 12GB vram.  With Resolve I manually set the GTX-680 to only do GUI and the two Titan Xs for processing.  I was told on this list that Resolve will find the GPU with the lowest vram and limit all gpus to that use of vram.  Hence I took the GTX-680 out of the processing to avoid this issue.

Should I consider something like a GTX-980 with more vram to improve performance.  I'm thinking it might help with New Blue Titler 7 to have a gpu with more vram and power.  I want to maintain a boot screen.  What would be the best nvidia mac boot screenable gpu I could put in the old tower.  I'm assuming I couldn't get a gpu that wasn't nvidia cuda based and still use the Titan Xs.  Perhaps I'm wrong here.  Just starting to look into this.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment