Saturday, February 15, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Is there a way to improve 8 bit artifacting when rendering to DNX_115?

I get to DNX_115 by rendering an upper track safe color limit to DNX_115.  Then when I export a QT reference the resulting file is referenced to the rendered media which is DNX_115.  I could at that point also do a QT export same as source and it would still be DNX_115.  Think of the safe color render as acting like a video mixdown.


On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 07:43 AM, Jef Huey wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 05:06 PM, John Moore wrote:
On a current series the delivery is a QT in DNX_115 with 12 tracks of audio.  I'm noticing banding after I render to DNX_115 for my Safe Color Effect.  My timeline is set to 10 bit green.  If the safe color is unrendered no 8 bit artifacts but once I render to DNX_115 there are  bit artifacts on certain shots that have walls with a shallow ramp luminescence.

I may have missed it in this thread but I can not see how you are going to QT in DNX 115 in the first place.  If you are using the old QT export workflow, that could be part of the issue.  Have you tried a OP1a.MXF export yet?  If that is better, then link that export back into Avid and then do a Same As Source export to QT.  How does that look?

As a sidebar, yesterday I was asked to do a quick color fix before delivery on a DNx120 25p show that had just come back in that codec from Resolve.  Show looked fine with the timeline video quality in 8bit (no reason to look set it to 10 bit with DNx 120).  I opened the Symphony color corrector and reduced overall brightness.  As I watch my scopes I immediately saw banding show up on the scopes!  I asked the colorist in Resolve to do the fix.  No issues.  Now one could argue that I was just going to far by color correcting an already color corrected 8bit shot.  But the source BEFORE Resolve was DNx120.  And the Resolve pass did not add any banding.

Bottom line for me, as shown by John's tortured examples, it seems that Avid image processing pipeline has some big issues.  If it is just that we users are using the tool wrong, then Avid should correct us with explicit instructions.  If we are not, then it needs to be fixed.

Jef

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134044) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment