Friday, February 14, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Is there a way to improve 8 bit artifacting when rendering to DNX_115?

Okay I find this inconceivable.  If I render my Safe Color to DNX_175X, ProResHQ or ProRes 422 the major banding goes away and it matches my timeline in 10 bit green before I rendered to DNX_115.  This all makes perfect sense.  Now if I take those sequences rendered to  10 bit codecs and export a QT Reference and make a .mov or just use the QT Ref on my older version of Adobe Media Encoder the resulting DNX_115 files encoded by AME don't show the major banding issue I see with the Avid internal render or when I set the timeline to 8 bit green quality.

This seems to indicate that AME does a better job of encoding to DNX_115 than Avid does internally.  My sources are XAVC Intra 100 (1080P) shot at Rec 709 no log involved.  How can Avid not do a decent job of  rendering to it's own 8 bit codec?  Could the source being XAVC Intra 100 somehow play a role in the banding?  I don't know why it would.  The footage is a bit noisy on the wall but could that contribute to making Avid band the DNX_115?  This really puts a crimp in my workflow as I always internally do a final render of the safe color to the delivery codec so I can so same as source exports or QT Reference exports knowing i'm only sourcing media from the correct codec.

I rarely deliver in 8 bit but I would think over the years I would have noticed this behavior/shortcoming.  Maybe this particular blend of wall color and noise etc... just hit a sweat spot that makes Avid's internal render go "Bits Up"?  Always on a Friday.  ;-(
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#134036) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment