Friday, February 14, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Is there a way to improve 8 bit artifacting when rendering to DNX_115?

Does it look equally bad if you render to .mxf?  Probably, just curious.

Stating an obvious idea, but I know how sometimes we miss the obvious when on deadline: Try a small test render using DNx175x.

If that renders clean, consider using a different render tool to make the master - like, render out of avid to DNx175x, then try a re-render to 115 using resolve or media encoder.   Obviously, do short tests to figure out what works.

Just a suggestion… 

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:06 PM, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

On a current series the delivery is a QT in DNX_115 with 12 tracks of audio.  I'm noticing banding after I render to DNX_115 for my Safe Color Effect.  My timeline is set to 10 bit green.  If the safe color is unrendered no 8 bit artifacts but once I render to DNX_115 there are  bit artifacts on certain shots that have walls with a shallow ramp luminescence.

I understand why the artifacts crop up when rendering to DNX_115 but I'm trying to remember if there was a console command that might boost the quality.  IIRC there was a command that effect title tool HDTITLEFILTER which turned of anti alliasing and there was a resize command to decide how Avid processed a resize,:
SYNTAX  Setresizetype 8 
   
NOTES  AVID supports three quality levels for real time resizing. This can be done with an effect like 
Picture in Picture, or automatically by the system when you place an SD shot in an HD 
sequence (or vice versa).  3D warp effects are not changed by this setting.  
 
1 = nearest neighbour 
8 = anti‐aliased bilinear (the default) 
9 = polyphase 


Now I'm wondering if there is any other console command that might improve the render of my 10 bit timeline to DNX_115 with less banding?  I realize it's the nature of the 8 bit DNX_115 codec to introduce 8 bit artifacts but is there any magic console voodoo that might improve how the conversion to 8 bit is smoothed out with less banding.  I'm probably just  dreaming but thought I'd ask the collective.  I haven't delivered DNX_115 in a while.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment