Monday, December 16, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] Recommendations for upgrading GPU on MacPro 2010

I'm running basically that sane machine, maybe slower processors, and just went to High Sierra from Sierra.  I had some nVidia-related problems but got them worked out. I can't go to Mojave because I have nVidia graphics cards - so my next upgrade will probably be a PC.   I'd love the new MacPro, if it was $3 or 4k loaded, but $6k base is whack.  Better graphics card certainly makes a difference with Resolve, not as much Media Composer.  

For what it's worth 2019.x is not officially supported on an old cheesegrater, but I haven't had much problem.  It can be a bit sluggish once in a while, but not like, you know, 'Adrenaline' sluggish.  I also have a new weird audio bug (that's been reported by others) after moving to 2019.11

Interestingly, I DIDNT upgrade BCC - I'm on 10 something, and it still mostly works.  At least the plugins I use work.  It didn't work with Resolve, so I had to remove it because I haven't been able to justify upgrading it.  

There are some real advantages to MC 2019 - exporting OP1A, the dropping that into encoder, is way faster that almost any other export workflow I've tried.  And the encodes have been really good.  (Reference quicktime was broken a while ago, from the Adobe side.)

Not sure if any of this helps at all.  

Be sure to clone (carbon copy or whatever) your boot drive before you upgrade.  If you have the discs and such, and patience, it's probably better to do a clean install - so be sure to deactivate any licenses you have before rebuilding your system drive.  And, of course, put your new system drive on an SSD.  If you haven't already done it, that makes a HUGE difference on a cheesegrater.

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092 
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Dec 16, 2019, at 10:57 AM, craigacm via Groups.Io <CraigACM=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have a MacPro 2010 5,1 3.33Mhz 2x6 cores, 48GB RAM still running El Capitan and MC 8.10.
Just paid for a BCC upgrade only to find out that I need at least Sierra or High Sierra for that.  Since I'm about to take the plunge and do the dreaded "fix what ain't broken" path, I'm also considering upgrading my current GPU (Radeon 5770 1GB) to a Radeon RX 580 8GB so I can install Mojave.  And, at some point to update to MC 2019 as well.  I'm not in a position to go with a new computer, but can handle the $350 or so for a new GPU.
So I'd like to know if anyone has any advice regarding:
1.  If I just move to High Sierra, will I see any value in changing the GPU to the Radeon RX 580?
2.  Any advantage in running MC on Mojave vs. High Sierra?
3.  Any compatibility issues with my system when I move up to MC2019?
Note: I also use After Effects and Media Encoder - the new GPU might help there, but with 1080 media I mostly edit with, I'm fine with the performance I'm currently getting.
Suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment