Sunday, December 29, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] LG OLED C9 number of internal LUTs for calibration?

Does this mean that after running the Calibration Software there will be in essence a new custom preset in the picture control menu?  I have the aja box that will trigger HDR mode in the monitor.  I would assume any professional running the Calman software would have that ability as well.

I'm no monitor tech but I've run the Sony white balance software on my PVM-2541.  I would think there would be a need to  calibrate SDR and HDR on the LG OLED, or any monitor for that matter.  Assuming the Calibration Tech has the necessary hardware/software to trigger the LG into HDR would the Calman Software create a second custom preset for HDR.  Is that how one would switch the monitor for HDR vs. SDR? 

After proper calibration by a professional then I would use my Aja Hi5 4K plus and to trigger HDR mode over HDMI and I would choose the Calman HDR custom preset in the picture menu controls.  Then for SDR I'd go to a different HDMI input that comes straight out of my DNxIO and choose the Calman SDR custom preset.  IIRC the LGs will remember which preset was selected for a given input so perhaps once I've done this once then just switching HDMI inputs will also switch the LG into the proper custom preset for a particular input.

I had thought the Calman software talked to  a LUT chip under the hood I didn't realized it created a new custom preset in the menu.  Come to think of it the Sony White balance software uses one of the user settings to store it's adjustments so sounds like LG is working similar.  Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "custom setting?"


On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM, Nigel-Avid-L wrote:

Hi there

 

You can calibrate settings in the C( so you only need to use one HDMI input.. In fact I think the input is irrelevant. When you set up using calman the software creates a custom setting and you can have more than one.. HDR is a bit more involved because you have to be ableto put the TV in HDR mode so I think something that generates the Info in the HDMI stream.. AJA does this..

 

N

 

From: Avid-L2@groups.io <Avid-L2@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Moore
Sent: 26 December 2019 18:53
To: Avid L-2 Groups IO <avid-l2@groups.io>
Subject: [Avid-L2] LG OLED C9 number of internal LUTs for calibration?

 

It is my understanding that as of 2017 the LG OLED TVs have the ability to store a calibration LUT directly from the Calman Calibration software.  How many LUTs can be stored?  Is it a LUT per HDMI input?

 

I want to know if the monitors can be calibrated for both SDR and HDR?  Would I need to dedicate one HDMI input for SDR and one for HDR?  I'm assuming that for proper Calibration it needs to be done separately for HDR and SDR hence does the monitor have the ability to have Calman software program two different internal LUTs or inputs.

 

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#133829) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment