Friday, September 27, 2019

[Avid-L2] Fw: LG webOS TV OLED55B6P will Dolby Vision automatically happen with Proper HDR signal over HDMI?

 


According to the specs for my LG webOS TV OLED55B6P monitor it is Dolby Vision capable:

Picture Quality

  • ULTRA HD (3840x2160)
    Yes
    Perfect Mastering Engine
    Yes
  • OLED HDR with Dolby Vision™
    Yes
    Perfect Black Panel
    Yes
  • Cinematic Color
    Yes
    Ultra Luminance
    Yes
  • 4K Upscaler
    Yes
    Pixel Dimming
    Yes
I was at a seminar last night with Dolby Vision Folks and people from MTI Film showing their Cortex software.  The Cortex can do the whole tunneling thing over HDMI through a Kona 4 card.  When they would switch to Dolby Vision the Dolby Vision Logo would appear on the screen for a few seconds indicating the monitor was receiving DolbyVision signal/metadata.  According to the manual Resolve can send Dolby Vision Signal/metadata with a Deckink 4K Extreme or an ultrastudio.  I've got a DnxIO which is  basically an ultrastudio.  Taking an SDR IMF I made in a timeline I enabled Dolby Vision in Resolve color management and a few of the other checkboxes.  I don't see any change on the LQ OLED, no image change in levels and no Dolby Logo popping up.

Anybody  player around with this?  Not sure if the DNxIO will do what the Ultrastudio will when controlled by Resolve.  I would think it would but perhaps the Avid version of the video desktop doesn't provide the DolbyVision data etc.  I'm just sticking my toe in the water but when I learned the DolbyVision logo will pop up on the monitor they had at the demo I wondered if LG does the same.  Am I wrong to expect that if I switch a Resolve project with SDR content to HDR Dolby Vision on the output over HDMI will then provide a real DolbyVision signal,  Resolve offers ver. 2.9 and 4.0 Dolby vision in the choices.  I did try setting the timeline color space to 2084 but that didn't change the image I saw on the LG or anywhere else.  I must be missing some basic setup steps in Resolve or I have misunderstood what switch Resolve to DolbyVision enabled really does signal wise.

Anybody playing in this turbulent HDR ocean?

I haven't even begun to play with Avid HDR.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment