Saturday, December 22, 2018

[Avid-L2] Follow up on 8 vs. 10 bit effecting alpha channel video level

 

I've now confirmed on two different MC stations that the timeline quality setting effects the video level of the alpha channel when viewed in the GUI interface and the output of a Nitris DX.  This happens on imported matte keys and title tool.  To see it make a title and cut it into a sequence.  Step into the title and view the alpha channel.  Now toggle timeline quality settings.  for Yellow, Yellow/Green and Green the Alpha channel will be full range but once the timeline is toggled to 10bit Green the alpha channel changes to legal level.

On the second station I tested it on there was no output hardware but the change in level was visible on the GUI Rec Monitor.  Interestingly the internal waveform in color correction mode always display Full range for the alpha channel even in 10bit green but the Rec monitor GUI showed the level jump.  On my symphony Nitris DX the DX output shows the level jumps.

I don't see this effecting the quality of the key so it seems like there is some under the hood signal flow that Avid tracks an Alpha in a different way.  My understanding is regardless of how a matte key graphic is imported scaled Full Range to Legal  or no scaling treat as legal the alpha is still Full Range, please correct me if this is incorrect.

I just don't understand how 8bit vs 10 bit should effect video level displayed for on the GUI and output hardware.  What's the little gremlin going on.  I've seen this behavior for years without realizing it was tied to timeline quality settings.  I use to notice that when outputting alpha channels to tape when I went into digital cut mode the level would drop.  I hadn't noticed that the digital cut tool was forcing the timeline quality to 10bit green during a digital cut.  Now I see what's causing the level shift I just understand why this is happening.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment