Thursday, March 15, 2018

[Avid-L2] Using DNxIO output 3 & 4 downconvert and maintaining Aspect ratio on HDMI output?

 

Thanks to the list I found out that if I set my 4K 4096x2160 project up and tell the VideoDesktop software to run in Single or Dual Link mode the SDI outputs 3 & 4 become HD downconverts.  I did find some issues on those outputs that would trigger scope alarms on my Tek 7020 when used to downconvert but no alarms when I set the HW resolution to HD.  That was weird but never really became an issue.

I recently got a Sony PVM OLED in my bay at work.  It's approximately a year and a half old and much nicer than my first generation Sony PVM OLED I have on my home system.  One of the things I noticed feeding it the DNxIO output 3 for a down convert HD signal that when I have the project set to 4096x2160 HW resolution the down convert is 2K 2048x1080 with a aspect ration of 1.89:1 according to the On Screen Display on the Sony OLED.  So the monitor handles true 2K which is cool.  And the Tek 7020 displays it as well.  A pleasant surprise.  The one quirk seems to be the HDMI feed going to my LG consumer OLED is stretching the picture vertically filling the screen as opposed to letterboxing which is how I have the video output setting set.  If I switch the HW resolution to 3840x2160 UHD then the HDMI output gets properly letterboxed and now the Sony Monitor tells me it's getting a 16:9 signal that is properly letterboxed as well.

So here is my quandary.  What if I had a real 4K reference monitor that I want to feed 4096x2160 over SDI single or dual link or even quad link but at the same time feed my client/consumer LG monitor of HDMI.  It seems the HDMI doesn't do a pillerbox even if the Avid video output setting are set to letter/piller box when the HW resolution is set to 4096x2160.

In a perfect world someone would buy me a Tek 4K scope and a real 4K reference monitor but given I don't see that happening in my lifetime here's what would be great.  I keep the LG OLED consumer/client monitor and the Tek 7020 scope.  I get a real reference monitor that supports 4096x2160 display, does that even exist?, and then I feed this reference monitor dual or single link thereby maintaining the spigot 3 & 4 on the DNxIO that I can feed to my HD tek scope and the HDMI to the LG monitor.  If all that would work the only issue would be what I'm seeing now that the LG monitor would still be stretching the picture vertically rather than letterboxing it.  Is there any way around that?  I don't see any down conversion setting in the video desktop software.  Is there something there that would address making the HDMI letterboxed when the Avid project is set to 4096x2160 HW resolution?

And remember every Pixel counts ;-(
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment