Sunday, August 6, 2017

[Avid-L2] Re: EVGA GeForce GTX TitanX in expansion chassis MacPro won't boot?

 

So I have downloaded the Webdriver from NVidia which required looking in the system report to get the exact version of my Mac listed in System Report Software as follows:

System Software Overview:

  System Version:    OS X 10.10.5 (14F2511)
  Kernel Version:    Darwin 14.5.0
  Boot Volume:    BTSNDX SSD_02
  Boot Mode:    Normal
  Computer Name:    Admin's MacPro
  User Name:    Admin (Admin)
  Secure Virtual Memory:    Enabled
  Time since boot:    11 minutes

It is the "  System Version:    OS X 10.10.5 (14F2511)" that tells the important number in ( )s the (14F2511) that is crucial to getting the right web driver.  There are many to choose from but until I tried the one listed for (14F2511) the Webdriver wouldn't install.  According the MacVidCards "webdriver" is how nvidia refers to the GPU driver.

Once that was installed I could boot up with the expansion chassis active and the new GPU was seen in the system report but it is listed in the system report in a generic manner as follows:

Video Card:
NVIDIA Chip Model
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

The 680 is in the tower and the Titan X is in the Expansion Chassis

Here are the details listed in system report for the Titan X:

NVIDIA Chip Model:

  Chipset Model:    NVIDIA Chip Model
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    256 MB
  Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:    0x17c2
  Revision ID:    0x00a1
  ROM Revision:    preset 1.0.0

Note the actual card name doesn't appear unlike the GTX 680 which lists the following details:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680:

  Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    PCIe
  Slot:    Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    2048 MB
  Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:    0x1180
  Revision ID:    0x00a2
  ROM Revision:    3731
  Displays:
HP W2371d:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number:    6CM2140MY4 
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Rotation:    Supported
HP W2371d:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number:    6CM2140CXZ 
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Rotation:    Supported


Now when I went to launch Resolve it claimed it saw no CUDA enabled devices and said to quit Resolve and go into the CUDA system preferences to get the latest CUDA driver.  I did that and the error message went away when launching Resolve.

Now I only see the GTX 680 listed in the Resolve system GPU list.  There is no other listing of the new GPU.  I tried setting things from auto to CUDA and manual selection but still no option to choice for the Titan X appeared.  I did several reboots to see it that would help and I also made sure to quit Resolve and relaunch to save any preference changes that require that.  Is there a magical setting to enable multiple GPUs.  I remember back in Resolve 9 the early versions didn't have the option.  I had figured once I installed the new Titan X it would just appear but so far no luck.

I am concerned that the Titan X which should have 12GB  of VRam is only listing 256 MB in the system report which is much less than the GTX 680 which lists 2048 MB.  This makes me believe that either I somehow have an incorrect driver or there is some reason that the Titan X is not being recognized properly in the system report.  This is a PC version of the Titan X but I think that only matters if you are running it for a GUI.  I did see that MacVidCards now lists a mac version of the Titan X but it is out of stock.  Others have this sort of configuration working so I think the basic hardware is okay with the possible exception of the Titan X card.

There really seem to be a lot of snags along the way but I'm telling myself this is "FUN?"  What else would I be doing at Midnight on a Saturday.  ;-(






---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

Thanks to everyone on and off list who have given me tips.  It seems I need to install the right driver.  I had thought that the driver might be part of the OS but it appears not.  I had also assumed that since the GPUs weren't in the Tower Chassis and not going to run the GUI I didn't need to install the driver but that appears not to be the case.

Terry and Greg contacted me off list with info including this link:

http://www.macvidcards.com/gtx-750-ti--970--980--980-ti--titan-x-doesnrsquot-finish-booting.htmlFrom that
From that link:



I will try later to load the driver and see what happens.

---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <fedguy2@...> wrote :

Hi John,

Have you tried booting in verbose mode to see where it fails?

Hold down the option V key on boot up, and watch the action.

Let us know.

Paul
 
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment