Saturday, August 27, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] When does Avid go into 10 bit mode in 4K renders?

 

Isn't sharpness mostly a function of pixel density/pixel count and contrast. I would not expect a change in sharpmness from full resolution 8 bit to full resolution 10 bit. I would expect smoother gradients with less banding.

Philip


On Aug 27, 2016, at 6:08 PM, John Moore bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



OS 10.9.5 MacPro 12 core 3.33GHz 64GBRam MC 8.5.2
Working in a 4096x2160 project I noticed doing some blur tracking that when I use fluid tracker and set my tracking points I see the Yellow mode resolution up until I click the track button and the tracking starts.  At the point tracking commences the Image crispens up.  I assume it pops to 10 bit mode for tracking accuracy.  

To see what was going on I stayed in single monitor mode and blew up the image to see how the various timeline quality modes change the image displayed in the GUI.  Yellow is softest, then Yellow/Green sharper, Green Even Sharper but then 10 bit Green shows no change in the GUI screen resolution.  The NitrisDX output blanks out momentarily when switching to 10 bit mode.  I've have always assumed that was a sign of the output hardware switching to 10 bit from 8 bit.  Where I'm surprised is why the GUI doesn't show a sharpness change from Green to 10 bit Green.  Does display GUI max out at 8 bit?

My real concern is does Avid always jump to the highest quality mode when rendering even if I'm in 8 bit mode?  I know there are settings to determine quality and mode for time warp effects when rendering but what about all the other effects.  I wouldn't think things would render 10 bit if I was in timeline 8 bit mode but I'm not really sure.

Over the years I've seen all kinds of posts about various aspects of Avid that don't seem to stay in 10 bit mode with 10 bit sources etc...

Can anyone clue me in on the bottom line on video bit depth of rendering, file export and hardware output as it relates to the timeline quality settings?  I'm pretty sure the hardware output always goes to max quality on digital cut but I haven't paid attention to that in a while.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net



__._,_.___

Posted by: Philip Hodgetts <philip@intelligentassistance.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment