Saturday, July 16, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] AAF export fails with OSErr:-5000

 

I see the media creations setting change seemingly on their own all the time.  For a long time I think many considered it a bug of some sort, and perhaps there is some truth to that, but a while ago I realized what was happening in my case.  I mount and unmount volumes as needed several times during the day.  My approach is to only mount the minimum volumes or workspaces needed for a given project.  That just seems to lighten the computers load and helps to reduce crashes in my experience.  This may all be in my head but in my gut the less volumes to scan and keep track of feels like it improves stability and performance.  What I finally discovered is quite often I would open up an Avid project before I had mounted the volume/workspace I had been using as the render drive.  After opening the project Avid would automatically pick a new render drive in the absence of the previously assigned one.  Sometimes it would do exactly what your's did and assign the startup drive as the render drive even though I had filtered that out and also done the locked Avidmediafiles folder on it.  The result was errors like you experienced although I can't remember the exact syntax they may have been exactly what you experienced.

P.S.  For the second time in two days I received responses from Terry and another from Dave Hogan directly into my email but I don't see it on the list.  For a while the list behavior I've been seeing is that once I contribute to an existing thread on the L2 then any further response to the thread shows up on the L2 web page and I get a direct email.  I realize there are choices when replying to go to the group or individual or both.  So I'm wondering given I've received these email thread responses directly and they haven't appeared on the group page is that a bug or is it that the posters have been receiving a direct email with my initial response to the thread and just replying to that?  I'm trying to post these helpful responses back to the group to share the knowledge and I'm sure in many cases show what a bone head I can be.  I've been taught the only stupid question is the one I don't ask and I do everything in my power to follow that advice.  ;-)
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net



From: Terry Barnum <terrydop@gmail.com>
To: bigfish@pacbell.net
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] AAF export fails with OSErr:-5000

The Media Creation location setting had somehow changed itself from using a fibre volume to using the second internal drive in the MacPro. In 20 years I've never had this setting change out from under me. My editor swears he didn't change anything. The second drive is a scratch disk for AE/PS and various stuff that we don't want crufting up the boot SSD. I have the boot and launch drives filtered out, but a long time ago I created a locked OMFI MediaFiles folder on the second drive to keep editors from accidentally putting media there. Totally messed with me last night!

-Terry

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 5:34 PM, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> What exactly was off in the media creations settings.  Was the destination drive being blocked or filtered out by media creations check boxes.  What settings did you change to get it to work.
>
>
> ---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <terrydop@...> wrote :
>
> That was it! Thanks Mark!
>
> > On Jul 14, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Terry Barnum terrydop@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response Mark! I already left the office but will check first thing in the morning.
> >
> > -Terry
> >
> > > On Jul 14, 2016, at 8:39 PM, Mark Spano <cutandcover@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > What's your Media Creation settings set to for drive destination? When you make an AAF with embedded media, MC needs to first create OMFI MediaFiles in the Media Creation drive setting. Then it embeds that data into the AAF for your destination. -5000 is a permissions issue for the Media Creation drive.
> > >
> > >> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Terry Barnum terrydop@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> So a weird thing started happening this afternoon. When trying to export an AAF for ProTools it almost immediately fails with an OSErr:-5000. For an instant before the error it says Converting.
> > >>
> > >> I've tried unchecking anything in the export dialog to do with converting, different editor settings, trashing the MCState, Site_Settings.avs, Site_Settings.xml and Site_Attributes, but no change. The destination drive is definitely writeable—I can export a ProRes Proxy QT of the sequence there without problem. But if I try to export an AAF with embedded files of the sequence it fails.
> > >>
> > >> If the only thing I change in the export dialog is from 'embedded files' to 'output to folder,' the export works fine to the destination drive. Something about embedded is now breaking it.
> > >>
> > >> I've shutdown and restarted, run Disk Utility to repair permissions on the boot SSD, tried another project that exported an AAF earlier in the day but now fails, tried a new, simple sequence with 2 audio tracks, and tried exporting to the desktop, all without any luck.
> > >>
> > >> I've never seen this before. Any ideas on how to fix?
> > >>
> > >> MC8.4.4, MacOS 10.9.5, IO Express, FibreJet
> > >>
> > >> Of course we're under deadline so thanks for any suggestions!
> > >>
> > >> -Terry
> > >>
> > >> Terry Barnum
> > >> digital OutPost
> > >> Carlsbad, CA
> > >>
> > >> http://www.dop.com
> > >> 800/464-6434
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Terry Barnum
> > digital OutPost
> > Carlsbad, CA
> >
> > http://www.dop.com
> > 800/464-6434
> >
> >
> >
>
> Terry Barnum
> digital OutPost
> Carlsbad, CA
>
> http://www.dop.com
> 800/464-6434

Terry Barnum
digital OutPost
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.dop.com
800/464-6434


__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail app
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment