Thursday, July 28, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 

I have the X-Rite i1 probe that I use with the Sony auto balance software on my PVM-2451.  I have also used the probe with the X-Rite software to calibrate my GUI monitors.  It's been a while since I did that so my mind has flushed all the details.  Damn short term memory loss.  With the Sony software hooked up through Ethernet it creates or the monitor creates the test signals that the probe detects.  When I adjusted my GUI monitors it was the X-rite software that created patterns on the Computer monitor that the probe detected. 

What would be the signal path to use the X-Rite1 probe on a consumer 4K monitor?  Would you have to feed it an HDMI out of the computer running the X-Rite calibration software?  I'm no monitor engineer so I've only dabbled with the probe but I would assume that just like I had to do with the GUI monitors I'd have to go into the TV display adjustment menus to tweak things along the way.  I found my GUI monitors that are two of the same model but seem to be different production runs differed in my ability to dial them in.  I forget if it was color temp or some other adjustment involving R G and B adjustments that I just couldn't get one of the monitors to get into the allowable range.  Still the monitors were better matched especially noticeable was turning down the overall brightness to set the monitors to 100 nits or Candelas per meter squared, please correct my units if they are wrong it's been a while.  Getting the GUI down to 100 matches my PVM 2541 OLED that is balanced for 100 nits by the probe settings.

Another thing I learned in the process it that the factory settings for my PVM 2541 seemed very different than my new probe based auto white balance.  I was told by Sony that the PVMs tended to be set up at the factory to balance at 150 nits because they were considered to be field monitors so the brighter setup helped in the less than desirable field environment.  This explained why I saw such a drastic change between probe balance and factory preset.

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail app
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment