Thursday, July 28, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 

HI Dom,

Thank you very much.

Paul


From: "'Dom Q. Silverio' domqsilverio@gmail.com [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: "Avid-L2" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:42:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 

Spyder is OK. X-Rite i1Display Pro is faster and more accurate at low end of the spectrum (20% and below)

With calibration, it does not matter if it is a consumer or professional display. The tools and process still apply. In our experience, monitors from companies like TVLogic, Flanders and such are well calibrated out of the box. They are neutral with the gamma being on target at 2.2. Consumer TV out of the box tends to be cooler, brighter and gamma all over the place.



Dom Q. Silverio

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 9:27 AM, paulsulsky@comcast.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Hi,

How well do you think a commercial monitor would work with Spyder calibration?





Best Wishes,

Paul


From: "Bogdan Grigorescu bogdan_grigorescu@yahoo.com [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: "Avid-L2" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>, bigfish@pacbell.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:11:03 PM

Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 


I've seen the monitor at NAB and it was pretty impressive. 
I believe it has an LG panel and it's limited to about 400nits for HDR(as opposed to 1000nits for the X300).
Viewing angles a bit narrow(30-40 degrees off center, after which it turns greenish). Other than that all goodies that come with OLED: deep blacks, wide gamut, etc. 

let me ask our editors about BMD accuracy. I think it may've been solved after 10.6.5 drivers. 
Most of our systems are on BMD Decklink extreme, but there is one that I kept for outputs to tape as NitrisDX, recently upgraded to DNxIO(we actually switch back and forth between BOBs, depending on UniversalMastering needs).
Will get them to test that too.

BG





From: "bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 
Thanks for pointing that one out.  Months back I remember a thread that had an LED sony.  How new is this one?  I think the last monitor shoot out at the editors lounge I was told there was no PVM 4K OLED and they didn't really promise one in the future.  That's better than 30K but still a big chunk.  I like to think of certain things like a proper monitor as the price of admission but clearly in this day and age that's subject to interpretation or in many cases misinterpretation.

Have you seen this monitor in action?  As I'm a fan of the HD PVM 2541 would I be happy with this display?  I'm not going to hold my breath but I can dream.


Also Mr. Bodgan,
You were the one who gave me tips on deck template setting to change to possibly make the Black Magic I/O SD SDI card do proper digital cut inserts but they never worked for me.  I believe at a later time I asked if you had ever got that to work and you still hadn't.  It's been a while so I'll ask again if you were ever successful with digital cuts from Avid using BM I/O?  Have you any DNxIO units at your workplace?


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bogdan_grigorescu@...> wrote :


$ 23249.16

Sony 55-inch 4K TRIMASTER EL OLED high grade picture PVM-X550

Buy Sony 55-inch 4K TRIMASTER EL OLED high grade picture monitor Review Sony Production Monitors, Monitors




From: "John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: yahoogroups <avid-l2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:28 PM
Subject: [Avid-L2] 4K Monitoring Choices with DNxIO?

 

At my main clients production company they are going to perhaps move my online bay to a bigger room.  We are doing more 4K shows in the future and I'm thinking it's probably a good time to suggest adding a DNxIO to our Avid Symphony NitrisDX setup.  I know in the past there were/are issues with digital cuts using BlackMagic IO.  There is an edit timing issue where the edit begins with a frame of black as the sequence timeline rolls one frame late.  To the best of my knowledge that has never been fixed but I don't have a setup to test it with now.  Obviously for 4K work tape output is a moot point as far as I can see but given we will still be producing HD content that might involve some tape deliverables I'm wondering where the DNxIO stands on the digital cut problem.  Has Avid fixed it with their own special Video Desktop software that differs from the Black Magic generic version, or so I've read about?

Besides tape out in HD I'm wondering what are people using for 4K monitoring?  The gold standard for the emerging HDR world seems to be the Sony BVM OLED monitor.  I am very happy with my PVM 2541 OLED for HD work and given Netflix work is speced to BT.709 for 4K delivery it would seem using the PVM on an HD downconvert would be a reasonably accurate way to monitor and color correct but short of the 30K Sony BVM what are some decent looking grading monitor?  I see HDMI 1.4 will handle UHD at 8 bit but that's a bit limiting for color correction isn't it?  Are most people running Quad Link HD SDI to the grading monitor?  The few 4K projects I've pushed through our SNDX were shot at True 4K, short for pain in the ass 4K, at 4096x2160.  To monitor that on my HD monitor I set it to letter box slightly to keep correct aspect ration.  If we get a real 4K grading monitor fed with Quad Link HDSDI I would assume it's going to be UHD 16:9 aspect ratio so would the Avid also send it a letter box version for True HD content just like I see in the HD output of my NitrsDX?

My brain really begins to hurt with all the little gotcha along the way and my gut says to just keep working in an HD downconvert scenario where my tektronix scope works as does my existing monitoring but I really think it's time to push forward into the 4K world in a proper manner.  I could see getting a decent 4K program monitor and still scoping on an HD downconvert as a possible compromise but I just feel dirty doing things that way. 

Perhaps it's time to suggest at work they opt for a trash can mac as the 12 core 3.33 GHz mac towers may start to show their age especially when doing 4K in Avid world.  I hate to go in the thunderbolt2 connection world but the whole place is mac based so I don't know of another way to stay mac and get improved Avid 4K performance.  Can anyone compare an Avid 4K workflow with the mac tower 12 core I mentioned to a reasonable level mac trash can?  Would the performance improvement merit jumping into a trash can?  I doubt they want to spend the bucks but I figure I should try and get some reasonable background for them.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...












__._,_.___

Posted by: paulsulsky@comcast.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail app
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment