Friday, January 15, 2016

[Avid-L2] Re: Finally a User Setting Issue I can't get around?

 

So this must be my week in the barrel.  Once again on my home system two days ago my normal avid user settings would hang on initializing.  I went through the same drill I went through a few months back but didn't bother to reinstall Avid this time.  I pulled the user settings from a back up start up disk but no go.  I went to a backup flash drive copy and still no go.  I opted to use a new user I had created the last time this happened and that worked.  I did restart a few times but nothing got my normal settings working.

Last night I was back at it and booted up to the new user fine.  I then switched to the normal settings that would hang the night before and last night they booted up fine as did my flash drive version and the backup startup drive version.  WTF?  If the settings are corrupt I get it but the settings are intermittent.  It's almost like when the system gets stupid it doesn't like any version of my normal user settings and at the time even rebooting doesn't make it work.  The first time this happened after working with the new user settings for an hour or so I went back to the normal settings and they worked. 

I'm beginning to wonder if there is some strange underpinning to my PCI E SSD drives from OWC or SSDs in general that somehow gets wonky about a particular file name.  Given I deleted the normal setting and reimported from a backup and they still didn't work two days ago but yesterday they did it's a very peculiar problem.  I've not seen this behavior with my settings on any other system so I wonder what could be special on my home system.  Could there be a Ram issue?  If it was Ram wouldn't reimporting or even just dragging a backup version of my settings into the avid user folder put the data in a different area of Ram.

When the user settings get wonky the user setting progress bar runs to the end then spinning beach ball and I have to force quit avid.  I do let it sit spinning for a couple minutes to see if it will straighten out but no such luck.  It's almost like Avid goes to load the user settings but doesn't quite finish. 

At least I have a new user setting to fall back on when this happens but It's not quite where my normal settings are and the way my system is Fing with me it's becoming personal.  I might have to start brandishing my solder iron in front of the chassis to let this system know who's in charge.  I'll be calm assertive just like the Dog Whisperer.  Come to think of it Rubin doesn't listen to me either so why should my MacPro?  ;-)



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

In thinking about this further I wonder if one of the mc state etc... files was causing the issue.  I would think those culprits would have been rewritten by and Avid reinstall.  Wondering what running the Avid for a while under the new user and then switching back to the restored old user would make it suddenly start working.  Very peculiar to me.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

And now after Fing around for an hour and making the new user settings so I could export my current project I toggle back to my normal settings and they work without issue or stall as they are reading.  Man the cyber Gods are after me today.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

I will start by saying I know it's best practices to always rebuild your user settings with point releases etc...  I've often posted I never do that and with the exception of the safe title grid I've never had any issues with importing my old settings into new builds.  Well now on my home system with no updates to anything all of a sudden launching avid stalls at reading my user setting.  I had a few startup hiccups first getting my computer to boot up but once booted I could launch Avid but not with my normal user settings.  Oh well I figure they got corrupted so I went to a back up copy on another startup drive and still the same stall.  I even went to my backup usb flash drive that I've loaded all over town and it does the same stall.  I've tried both trashing and reimporting the backups and just dragging them into the Avid Users folder where the normal one resides.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled Avid but still the stall.  I can open with the admin user but as soon as I try to switch to my normal and or reimported backups of my user I still get a stall.  I then went to my startup drive backups and pulled the user setting from 2 months ago that worked then when I carbon copy cloned the drive I'm using now and that has worked fine with this user setting for the past two month.

So what gives?  I reinstalled Avid and I re imported several different backups of my user settings but it still hangs.  I ultimately created a new user and imported my keyboard settings from the old user that stalls.  Those imported settings all work.  I know I've lived on the Wild side not rebuilding from scratch all this time but I can't explain why if the settings that worked last night are corrupt how restoring them from a backup made two months ago would not work.

Having read in the recent thread about the applications manager possibly causing updating Avid issues when I reinstalled Avid I did it from a .dmg I download from the download center for Ver. 8.3.1.347 ish IIRC.  I will have to go back to another startup drive and see if my old settings work there.  I can't see why they wouldn't but that has an earlier version of Avid.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment