Saturday, August 22, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] 30i Ntsc footage to 1080p25 - advice needed

 

I take it you are mixing it with other 25 fps material?
Otherwise, just deinterlace and make a 30 fps DCP
Next, if it's SD material, your quality will suck big time compared to the rest. Either don't care as it is 'archive' material,
of do care, but in that case use a high quality standards conversion on the source material. Input I for better motion prediction, deinterlace the uprezzed footage.
(Uprezzing is also something that can be done in a huge amount of ways, depending on the kind of footage you choose one.)
You probably want to outsource this. I have not yet seen a a good and affordable software product to do this.
 
Of course the best way to do it is to slomo it a bit so you have a 1 : 1 frame relation. (Avid can nowadays do so without problems)
Then, you need to compensate your sound (pitch shift the speed change).
But it highly depends on the content if you will get away with this.
 
hth,
 
Bouke
 
VideoToolShed
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  NIJMEGEN, the Netherlands
+31 24 3553311
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:53 AM
Subject: [Avid-L2] 30i Ntsc footage to 1080p25 - advice needed

 

Advise needed.

I have som 30i NTSC MJpeg (.avi container, I believe it is lower field dominance) footage and I need the footage in a 1080p25 project.
What would you suggest is the best way to handle the footage within Avid. 


My best result so far is the following, but I am a bit unsure if I treat the frame conversion and deinterlacing the best way.


- amalinking in a 1080p30, adjusting the source settings to correct the aspect, applied lower field dominance. Transcoded.
copied the bin into my 1080p25 project, added the clip to a sequence, promoted the motion effect, applied source to interlaced and output to progressive. 


I do not plan to online this particular footage in the end and I would prefer not to make new master clips before ingesting into Avid - here by meant an ordinary framerate conversion and a proper deinterlace. This is due the quality of the footage, the amount of it, and as usual the economy of the feature.
The end product is a feature documentary on DCP (25fps).

I hope some of you can guide me wether I am on the right path, or if I should compl etely rethink the process.


Thanks 


Tina Hedegaard | Post supervisor | Postyr Postproduction, Denmark

Avid Mc 8.3.1, Mac os x 10.9.5




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com


__._,_.___

Posted by: "Edit B" <bouke@editb.nl>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment