Saturday, August 29, 2015

[Avid-L2] Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB acting very problematic on Reconditioned MacPro 2010?

 

I few weeks back I mention some issues we were having installing Avid 6.5.4.6 on my new reconditioned MacPro 2010 with 12 core 2x6 3.33Ghz.  The Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB is mounted on a shuttle and is in the bay 1 of the MacPro.  With OS 10.7.5 we could not get Avid to launch.  After some research others had the same problem.  The solution/workaround was to upgrade to 10.8.5 and then Avid would boot.

Now I'm finding that when starting up on the SSD drive after starting up on some of the other HDD start up drives many of the HDD appear offline and it asks to initialize.  I can repair the drives with disk Utility and get them to mount.  I had solid boots for about 3 days with all drives showing up.  Today I installed the Sony  XD Cam U2 driver like our other Avid systems have.  After that a bunch of the internal HDDs went offline.  Disk utility repaired and remounted them.  In the case of the first partition of a 4TB Deskstar NAS I had to verify just that partition before mounting it then I could repair that partition as "repair" was greyed out for that partition until I verified and mounted it.  All the other HDDs including a 2 drive striped internal raid will just let me repair and mount.  Only that first partion on the solo HDD that has 10 partitions requires the verify.  Now when I reboot on the SSD the first partition is always unmounted and requires the verify process.

When this is going on if I restart to the carbon copy clone of the SSD all drive mount reliably for 3 reboots.  It really seems like something about the Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB is wreaking havoc as a startup drive.  I'm wondering if it were installed up in the 2nd optical bay if that would have any effect on it's reliability?  I am now going to take the SSD and Carbon Copy clone it to a virgin partition on the solo HDD that is mac os extended journaled with the proper GUID stuff and see if that will reliably boot.  I seem to recall some people not liking the Samsung SSDs but I don't remember the specifics of their issues.

Anybody have any suggestions/experience with these SSDs?

I did some googling and found this:

Your drives are most likely working as Samsung intended.  I'm currently upgrading several MacBook Pros for coworkers, and ran into this problem.  It will neither format nor install via the internal SATA.  The workaround is to connect the drive via external USB.  From there you can partition/format/install to the drive.  After you're done, you can install it.
 
However, if you ever plan to erase & install, you'll have to take it out and connect it externally all over again.
 
From what I gather, Samsung does have Mac specific firmwares for their 830 and 840 series SSDs.  Descriptions says it addresses compatibility issues, which we're seeing here.  The 850 is brand new, so perhaps they'll release the Mac firmware soon so you don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work.
 
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment