Saturday, September 27, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Universal mastering field 2 program start, the latest QC BS

 

As your document.pdf points out there is a dirty little secret with Universal Mastering in HD and maintaining proper cadence.  I had always believed Avid would maintain proper cadence when inserting in Universal Mastering.  Having never before scrutinized this in HD I found that Avid begins every digital cut as if it's an A Frame as far as cadence goes.  Having read the .pdf you posted I see back in SD day meridian forced you to edit on an A frame and exit on a D frame.  I now understand the problems associated with doing otherwise.  As your document says I can pick any frame on SNDX and this will end up with an inconsistant cadence.  Also using the 30DF time code to monitor A frames is arbitrary based on the beginning of the sequence and has no baring on time code.  So depending on how much filler is at the top of the sequence before a 1:00:00:00 24frame start that corresponds to 1;00;00;00 30DF the frame is not necessarily flagged as an A frame.  I haven't check with the 30NDF code. 

I also was trying to modify pullin on the sequence to get the A frame to line up with 1;00;00;00 program start but it is greyed out.  Seems like unlike a master clip you can not modify the pulldown on a sequence.

Now that I understand this I know to manually only edit in on A frames and exit on a D frame.  Why this functionality isn't at least an option in the HD world is perplexing.  I was able to end up with a 2:2:3:4 cadence by editing a 4 frame  edit out to tape.  It feels a lot like the old days of turning on forced color framing so you could only edit every other frame trying to maintain a proper sch relationship, but that too was a joke as it was based on time code that didn't necessarily reflect the true sch nature of the source in my experience.

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment