Saturday, July 12, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] QC Quote of the day

 

I believe Steve Holmes is one of the people that might have led me in the direction that there is no longer a spec per say.  Given the QC operator sited what he suggested was a camera hood in the edge of the frame and called it a blanking variance makes me wonder if he/she really knows what blanking really is.  A camera hood is a framing error not a blanking error.  Oh well I'll have to break out my engineering book to refresh the numbers of the specs in my head.  IIRC Tektronix has a pretty good site with the most important particulars.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bogdan_grigorescu@...> wrote :

' I'm curious why I've not seen an exact number for this duration.'
because the number depends on format. It's in the SMPTE274 standard and the QC house knows what it is.

you can also ask your pal at Tektronix.

cheers,
BG



From: "bigfish@... [Avid-L2]" <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] QC Quote of the day

 
Yes they will but do you know of an exact spec like the old composite days?  I can look at Y in a two line display and measure from end of active picture to start of active picture.  I'm curious why I've not seen an exact number for this duration.  Perhaps I've mis interpreted the things I've heard.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <DennyD1@...> wrote :


On Jul 11, 2014, at 11:17 PM, Mark Spano wrote:

> As far as what they're calling 'blanking', I've had people cite this when they actually mean 'active picture area', in other words, everything inside the 1920x1080 bounds.  This can be hard to spot, especially on monitors that have black bevels, since what you're looking for is a line or two of black around the edge.

I offer:

That's what 'scopes are for.  A waveform scope will accurately show you what is part of the picture and what is not.

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
    NBC Today Show, New York




__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment