Saturday, June 14, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] BWF import problem, MC 7.0.4

 

I have not used perf projects, so I can't comment on whether your bug with those is any better in this version.

I'll admit my experience here does not cover many of the other people on this list's workflows - only adding my own in case it offers some relief…


On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Michael Brockington brocking@sfu.ca [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Sorry, Mark, can you clarify -- was this in a project with the film options set for 35mm 4-perf?  Because having film options on is the crucial variable in seeing the CM_INVALID_TRIM error I mentioned.  I'd be very curious if you can reproduce it.

Cheers,
--Michael



On 2014-06-13, 8:50 PM, Mark Spano cutandcover@gmail.com [Avid-L2] wrote:
 
I haven't used perf slip projects in a while, but I just did this today (AMA link to multichannel BWAV, consolidate, 1080/23.976p project). The AMA implementation for audio is VASTLY improved going from v6.x to v7.0.3. I haven't tested every scenario, but it has yet to let me down in what I've needed it for.


On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Michael Brockington brocking@sfu.ca [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Mark:

  I had the same problem with consolidating AMA-linked audio on 6.0.x over a year ago, so I'm not convinced downgrading will help.

  Have you tried consolidating AMA-linked BWFs in a 23.976/1080p project, with the film options set to 35mm 4-perf?  And are you on Mac? 

Thanks,
--Michael



On 2014-06-13, 6:37 PM, Mark Spano cutandcover@gmail.com [Avid-L2] wrote:
 

Just want to mention once again, this all works fine for me on MC v7.0.3. Is there anything super important holding you at 7.0.4?

On Friday, June 13, 2014, Michael Brockington brocking@sfu.ca [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

It looks like AMA-import and transcode of audio files is still problematic.

When I do this, I get a CM_INVALID_TRIM error when the transcode is complete, and the Avid wants to move a big chunk of the new audio files into quarantine. 

This appears to be the same bug I described at some length on this list in Feb 2013.  In my trouble-shooting at that time I found it only happened in projects with 'film options' enabled.  Kind of a drag to see still happening on a completely different system, on the latest version of Media Composer.  My system in 2013 was not fully in spec, but this current system is, so definitely a bug.

So the only good workaround for the BWF file import seems to be this:

  • Regular import of all BWF files as mono audio wav files.
  • Select the 5 monophonic clips for each group and autosequence them into a single sequence (all the clips should line up, since they all have the same timecode)
  • Auto-sync the new sequence to produce a single subclip with 5 tracks and the correct duration.

Cheers,
--Michael


On 2014-06-13, 11:24 AM, Michael Brockington brocking@sfu.ca [Avid-L2] wrote:
 

Hi Mark & Job -- thanks for the feedback.

The most salient things that jump out at me from Michael Phillips' blog (on MC 7.0.3):
   -need to check the console for reports of timecode mismatch on AMA import (not flagged anywhere else.)
   -AMA includes more metadata fields than straight import.
   -AMA has no support for pullup/pulldown or 1/4 frame resync, even after consolidate/transcode.
   -workaround needed to get proper timecode from AMA clips into an audio EDL.
   -he says that monophonic groups aren't supported on 7.0.3, but that does appear to be working on 7.0.4 -- I'm getting 1 clip with 5 tracks via AMA import, rather than 5 mono files.

It sounds like the limitations of iXML/AMA Michael mentions are not likely to be a problem for me on this job, so if there are no horror stories I think I'll give it a whirl and see how it holds up.

Thanks,
--Michael

On 2014-06-13, 10:28 AM, Mark Spano cutandcover@gmail.com [Avid-L2] wrote:
 
Haven't had any of the issues that Michael Phillips seems to have with AMA and audio in MC v7.0.3. I never bothered with AMA audio prior to this release, because of bad implementation, but it seems to be good for me in v7.0.3. I get good metadata and mono groups no problem.

Maybe OP can roll back to 7.0.3? I haven't bothered updating because of this and other egregious bugs popping up in 7.0.4.…


On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM, 'Job ter Burg (L2B)' Job_L2@terburg.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
AMA'ing audio is not always the best way to go. 

Here's a detailed description of the AMA vs Import mess in audio these days:

Also, the OP's issue is popping up here as well:

On 13 jun. 2014, at 18:31, Mark Spano cutandcover@gmail.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>




__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark Spano <cutandcover@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment