Saturday, May 24, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] Color Correction and beyond...

 

This brings up an area I've thought about.  Resolve is powerful and has many features that are great but for my documentary/reality and prime time series work that extra power isn't really needed.  Sure I could add power windows and other tools to denoise etc... but I don't really get the time to do that.  In fact the extra time to round trip to Resolve would rarely warrant it's use even if the "look" would be marginally better.  For episodic television the post workflows seem to require more of the Resolve touches with the need to give a certain star the 5 year younger filter etc..

The smaller panels on Resolve work but I've been told by a colorist at NAB demoing Resolve that he is at least 50% faster when working with the full tilt Davinci panels than he is with the smaller panels.  This seems pretty obvious, who doesn't want dedicated knobs and switches so you can immediately see all the parameters without the need for excessive sub menus etc... 

The trend I see with Resolve is all the "creative" types just drool at the sound of color correcting in Resolve but when it comes to getting the real full tilt panels they always opt for the cheaper solutions.  I didn't grow up running a Davinci so I don't miss the big panels from a muscle memory perspective but I realize they would be helpful in speeding up the work.  To me the efficiency of the bigger panels warrant a good close look for smaller shops etc...  It's too bad production companies trying to bring everything in house don't even consider them because of the additional cost, perhaps some have but none of the ones I've been around have.  I guess what I'm really complaining about is no one wants to buy me a set of the big panels so I can get good and fast on Resolve.  Maybe it's true in color correction no one can hear me scream.  Avid sure hasn't heard me.  ;-(


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <steve4lists@...> wrote :

I didn't say it wasn't possible, or that some people didn't like them. I should have clarified:

I have done interviews with dozens and dozens and dozens of full time high end colorists. These are people with the expensive panels that have to crank out a ton of graded shots every day. Those people are less inclined to use curves because it takes them longer to use the Curves than it does to use the trackballs and pots.

Avid does not have pots for RGB tweaking. Resolve does, and that is a faster method for the people who grade a LOT of footage. I know that the tools are there, but it depends on who you talk to to see WHICH tools get used the most. Jeff, I'm assuming you do NOT have the $25,000 Resolve panel.

Steve

On May 23, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Jeff Kreines jeff@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 



 On a Resolve, they pooh-pooh curves, but they have individual pots to change the RGB highlights, gamma and shadow. Without those controls you HAVE to resort to Curves. 


Say what?  I use curves all the time in Resolve 10.  

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@...
kinetta.com
kinettaarchival.com




__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (34)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment