Friday, March 7, 2014

Re: [Avid-L2] SPAM ALERT: My new book is finally available on Amazon for pre-order.

 

How times change... Back when I was training I once had a Cmx 340-x manual on a shelf in the edit suite. The senior editor threw a 1" tape at my head and screamed at me that I was never to bring it in the room again, 'Clients pay for an editor who knows the system, not how to read'. When I complained to the big boss in the pub he just shrugged and laughed - 'you're lucky we got rid of the Quad's'...

I've had an aversion to having any manuals or training materials visible to clients ever since. I can't remember why due to head injuries suffered in my youth.

best regards

Mike

On 3/7/14 2:55 PM, bigfish@pacbell.net wrote:
 

Mike,
I'll let you in on a little secret.  I get all these books from Steve and others and I spread them around the edit suite.  On some rare occasions I even open them but mostly they are great props.  If it looks like you've read them the clients are impressed and they just assume you are very knowledgeable.  Then when a real question arises I contact Steve or the other author's directly for the scoop and where to find it in the book.  Perception is at least half the battle.  ;-)


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (25)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment